• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Deleted msgs not going to trash folder

I have an AT&T S5 using the stock email app. When I delete a msg in the inbox, it just disappears. It doesn't go into the trash folder. I would like to have my deleted emails reside in the trash folder until I permanently delete them. Right now if I delete a msg accidently, it's gone for good. No returning it to the inbox. Any thoughts on what would be making this happen?

Sorry to disagree with prj, but you do NOT want to use POP3.

For this reply, I'm assuming the account you're using is your Gmail account or another IMAP account.

Default behavior for IMAP including Gmail, is for deleted email to be sent to the Deleted folder, where it stays until manually deleted, or for a specified number of days, 30 is common, before being automatically permanently deleted. A couple of things could be happening in your case:

1. There might be both a Trash folder and a Deleted folder. Unless they are synced together, email sent to Deleted will not appear in Trash, and vice versa. If you have both, check both, and you might want to sync them.

2. Some email clients have an option to delete mail on the server immediately, bypassing the default behavior of parking deleted email in Deleted for a while. Check for that option and if present, how it is set.

Upvote 0
Sorry to disagree with prj, but you do NOT want to use POP3.

For this reply, I'm assuming the account you're using is your Gmail account or another IMAP account.

Default behavior for IMAP including Gmail, is for deleted email to be sent to the Deleted folder, where it stays until manually deleted, or for a specified number of days, 30 is common, before being automatically permanently deleted. A couple of things could be happening in your case:

1. There might be both a Trash folder and a Deleted folder. Unless they are synced together, email sent to Deleted will not appear in Trash, and vice versa. If you have both, check both, and you might want to sync them.

2. Some email clients have an option to delete mail on the server immediately, bypassing the default behavior of parking deleted email in Deleted for a while. Check for that option and if present, how it is set.

Changed account from pop3 to imap and all is good. Thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones