• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Deleted sys apps causing OTA fail?

sdot_sd

Apr 23, 2010
I found this guide for re-assigning system status to re-installed bloatware that you may have deleted. I was having issues getting OTA to install, and had removed bloatware (NFS, CityID, VZW NAv, etc.) using Titanium Backup (as opposed to freezing-lesson learned) and I was struggling to piece together information from the different threads I had been reading. This worked perfectly! Also, after downloading the update, and choosing to install, click the search button while phone is rebooting and installing. This will list errors, if any are present, and can help determine what is missing and/or causing the fail. Feel free to move this thread to more appropriate place if needed.

[How-To] Reinstall Bloatware with 'System Application' Properties - Android Forums

Thanks for posting this, i was in the same boat as both of you.

I am in the process of doing the installs of the apps, i got some of them to install no problem at all...but i am having troubles installing some others (music, weather widget,news widget, and blur e-mail) the others went just fine, i am following the same procedures. tried DL-ing them from my phone directly, from the computer all with the same results. hoping a different browser fixes it. i really dont want to SBF especially since i only have a Windows7 64bit system available to me.

Upvote 0
I followed this process to reinstall Blockbuster (the only app I uninstalled, before I read that freezing an app was safer, easier, and technically had the same effect) - and it all worked fine.
I then proceeded to unfreeze everything, and that went fine. So I unrooted my phone (I know you don't have to for this update, but I did it just to be safe) and tried the update. It still failed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting this, i was in the same boat as both of you.

I am in the process of doing the installs of the apps, i got some of them to install no problem at all...but i am having troubles installing some others (music, weather widget,news widget, and blur e-mail) the others went just fine, i am following the same procedures. tried DL-ing them from my phone directly, from the computer all with the same results. hoping a different browser fixes it. i really dont want to SBF especially since i only have a Windows7 64bit system available to me.

if you do have to sbf, fear not. a lot of us here have experienced every possible issue. i also have 7 x64, and i had some of the most bizarre issues, with even more bizarre resolutions. so, if you need help, please PM me, and i'll even get on IM if you need.

Upvote 0
All of the .apk files that had a .odex with them would not install. The ones that didn't installed fine. Any ideas?

Nevermind, I figured it out. You don't have to install the ones with .odex files.
Also great tip about the search button for showing errors, makes it much easier. Finally got it sorted out after working on it all day.

Thanks for figuring this out, I didn't want to flash the sbf to get the update and figured there was a way to get the few bloat files I deleted back. Glad you figured it out for us.

Reactions: Nightwind Hawk
Upvote 0
Got my Droid X 2 weeks ago, and rooted it almost immediately to get rid of the bloatware because I hated having all that Verizon crap on there. Thought the Titanium Backup would help me, but I didn't know it doesn't actually back up the programs. Lesson learned!

Anyhow, I couldn't install this latest update, so I've been trying to put all the old apps back on, and I've succeeded mostly. However, I can't for the life of me get CarDock back on there. And CarDock is where the update says it is finding an error. I've done everything correctly (at least in the same way that brought back all the old ones), and it's nowhere to be found except in the system files. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Also, when I originally started removing apps, I couldn't get rid of the Blockbuster one, no matter how hard I tried. Any ideas there either? :( It was the only one I couldn't get rid of.

So all that being said, in the future, are there any better ideas on how to get rid of bloatware that won't be a pain in the butt next time there's an update? I heard freezing them in Titanium Backup works well, is this true?

And one last noob question...how beneficial is it to install all the ROMs and whatnot that people are going around with? I would love to have my phone pimped out, but I'm not a system file techie so much. I love me some sleekness. Thanks for all your help!

My error message:

assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/CarDock.apk", "c9cc1be95af5d4152775a3df6848c35f8d1396c7",
"c3351e5dcea8dd312218d5a137f31406d7980c03")
E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version.2.3.151.MB810.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Upvote 0
I can't seem to sbf simply because RSDLite doesn't recognize my device. never finds it. Updated drivers, etc. Does RSDLite only work if the phone is off or in boot recovery mode?

I have never tried it before last night, never needed to. (knocks on oak)

I had this same problem and finally used a friend's computer (Win 7 x32 even though mine are the same set up). Come to find out, it wasn't the computer. It was the micro USB cable. I had a Rockfish one and it was AWFUL. I will never buy another one of those again.

Try getting your hands on a good micro USB cable. When I did (the one that comes with the dock charger works just fine), everything flashed perfectly.

Again, do NOT buy those crappy Rockfish universal macro/micro cables!!!

Upvote 0
If you just install "928 back to stock odexed", it will fix all your problems!!!

Does that fix the issue if you rooted AND deleted the APK files. I tried that first, no luck. Then I used this list and restored any ODEX and APK file that was missing (I deleted quite a few). Once my on phone list matched this one, re-booted and tried again.

Still no joy.

Had to SBF. I hope it works for some, but this kind of stuff is why the SBF is so nice to have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones