• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root deleted system camera.apk what to do?

ismaels91

Oct 23, 2013
Hey guys i need help!
So i made a copy of my camera.apk
I tried to remove the camera shutter sound by extracting the apk file
But when i put it back together i tried installing it but it says appliciation not installed.
So i deleted the apk and pasted the back up i made back into the system file.
I also accidently deleted the odex file.
Is the apk not installinh because i did not UNINSTALL the apk rather i deleted so there is still parts of it in the system?
What do i do?:(
Reasons unkmown i cant factory reset i try but it takes my to htc screen only.

As you have deleted a system file I suspect it is no longer on the phone and even a,"Factory Reset" would not bring it back as that would just restore the original phone settings but may not be able to re-install the device.

You could try a different camera app and if it works then just use the phone like that.

My next move would be to back up all my data/contacts/calendar/apps etc and then check in this or other forums on how to re-install the O/S(rom version for your phone).There is also usually information on the maker's sites for this.

A bit late now but in my Galaxy Ace basic camera app in it's settings the camera sound can be disabled.Also the sound files on my GA are in the .ogg compressed format(similar to the mp3 format) and they should be able to be renamed so they don't load or even changed to a user file in that format(untested).

HTH :)

Upvote 0
If you took a nandroid backup before doing this, just restore that. If not, then don't mess with system files again without making one!

A factory reset only deletes user data. It will not restore anything. Should really be called "factory data reset" to make this clear.

If you were using a de-odexed ROM this would be easy enough, but it sounds like you still have the stock odexed ROM. I don't suppose you kept the original, unmodified apk? If so you could try just installing that.

TBH it may be simplest to just flash a new ROM, especially if you've already done a factory reset (i.e. have no data to lose). It would help if we knew which device you have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones