Deleted texts!

Last Updated:

1. Jayne68

Jayne68 Member This Topic's Starter

Please tell me I can get them back :eek:
    I had a month's worth of texts from my hubby who's serving in Afghanistan and now they've gone :eek: I'm so upset, can I retrieve them??

Advertisement
  2. Neverendingxsin

Neverendingxsin Active Member

Probably not, since they were deleted from the phone.

If you have verizon like i do then the only way to possibly be able to read them would be to go onto verizon's website, and log onto your account and there might be a way to look at previous text messages.

3. thecrazing

thecrazing Well-Known Member

That is truly awful, and I don't think there's anything you can do with your phone. Right away call Verizon's customer service, or better yet, go to a VZW store. Even if its T-Mobile, carriers keep text messages practically forever, and this is something that probably everyone you talk to will want to help you with. You might not be able to get them back on your phone, but I'm sure you'll be able to get them in a hardcopy print out that you can keep some place safe, and in this instance, that might be even better. Keep us up to date, and if you run into any difficulties, there are other steps to take.

4. Jayne68

What's verizon? My phone is vodaphone - would they be able to do anything?

5. thecrazing

Yep, just call up Vodaphone, but going to some place in person will probably get a faster result.

6. Jayne68

And how would they go about retrieving my texts?
    I can't imagine getting much satisfaction from the staff in my local vodaphone shop...

7. thecrazing

It probably will not be something that they can do there, and for all I know, it will have to be something that's included in your bill, but right now the only computers that still have those texts are Vodaphone's, so you'll need to go through them.

8. Jayne68

Well, I got in touch with the head honchos at Vodaphone, and apparently, there's nothing they can do.
    Whilst they CAN provide me with a hardcopy printout of the numbers I received the messages from, they do not store the actual messages. Pretty crap then. Gutted. :(

9. thecrazing

I can imagine, that's pretty terrible. Sorry it didn't work out better.

10. Josh0187

Josh0187 Well-Known Member

Download SMS backup, it will auto backup all text messages to your gmail account. No WA to restore messages but having them on Google is better than not at all.

11. Jayne68

I have done now, but it's a bit too late for me - i've lost all my precious texts already. If i'd known the stupid f*in phone was prone to this sort of thing I would have downloaded the app sooner. I would love to have all my hubby' texts saved to my google account :(

12. Josh0187

Josh0187 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. I had that happen to me once and I use SMS backup all the time now. All phones have bugs.

13. sensesfail99

sensesfail99 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear the luck :-(
    However I think that all phones are prone to this. Blackberries are notorious for it. When ever your phone starts to run out of memory itll start deleting things to try and make up for the low memory. Heck some phones will just stop receiving new messages until the memory is cleared up :-(
    My wife always has had this issues more than once and she continues to get upset about it... I tell her the samething everytime. your inbox is not fit to have 1000's and 1000s of text at one time. (number exagerrated)

14. Jayne68

Hello again. Don't know if this is significant or what, but just connected my phone to the pc (for the first time), opened the folders, and there's one that's called LOST.DIR - it's about the same size as a file containing all my lost texts at a rough guess...tried opening it but its just called FILE. What, if any, programme could I use to try and open it?
    Thanks for any suggestions. It would be amazing if this contained my lost texts! :eek:

15. midtx350z

midtx350z Member

This has happened to me a couple of times too. Isn't there a setting that tells it to delete all texts after it reaches a certain amount?

16. Jleagle

Jleagle Active Member

Make a copy of it and rename the copy something.txt then you can hopefully read it in notepad etc...

17. Jayne68

Thanks for your suggestion. I thought it was going to work but then it just showed as a page full of 'Ys' :(