• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Deleting Apps/OE or otherwise

Xpcgamer

Nov 30, 2010
S.Fla
SO I have installed Handcent for texting and would like to install K-9 for emails. I don't want 2 programs on the phone for text's and 3 (the stock one with the "E" on it, The Gmail one and K-9) for emails. I don't want to root my phone as I am waiting for 2.2. Have had phone for 3 days already.
Tried searching already and got lots of info on K-9.

Don't worry about having the the stock apps on there. Just use your 3rd-party apps and set them to the default. Change your icons in your dock and you'll never know the stock apps are there anymore.

Actually removing them can cause problems. And even disabling them without removing them (which does require root) can break all sorts of things when you do it to fundamental core apps like this since parts of them still handle the basic functions behind the scenes (versus some of the bloatware apps, which can be disabled).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones