• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleting bloatware does not add to the internal storage

Prime85

Android Expert
Feb 7, 2011
i got bored so i redid my phone, it turns out that when bloatware is deleted off of the phone it does not give you extra internal storage. i believe this means that the system files are under a different partition then our internal storage. This means that if it is something that you might want to use later then dont delete it. If it is reinstalled from a .apk after it has been deleted from your root then it will take away from your internal storage.

If their is a way to resize partitions we might be able to have more space on our phones if my hypothesis is correct.

if anyone has any incite on this subject please let me know. :thinking:

Reactions: gmailcsmc
How did you delete them? If you just removed them from the system/app partition you must also pm uninstall them. You can find the names for them in /data/data.

For instance if your using adb you would type
Code:
adb remount
adb shell
rm /system/app/metrocrap.*
pm uninstall com.metrocrap

I usually reboot

Thank you... now i just have to figure out how to decipher the names in the /data/data folder

Upvote 0
How did you delete them? If you just removed them from the system/app partition you must also pm uninstall them. You can find the names for them in /data/data.

For instance if your using adb you would type
Code:
adb remount
adb shell
rm /system/app/metrocrap.*
pm uninstall com.metrocrap

I usually reboot

Really? On 3 different Androids I just deleted the system/app folder and rebooted... All the icons disappeared, I figured everything was uninstalled.

For those who don't know -- like me -- pm in this contexts means "package manager". I had to google it just now. Because in forums like this, usually pm means "personal message" :rolleyes: And that didn't make any sense. :)

I've tried installing adb twice and never could get it to work, so I'm not going to stress over this. I moved some of my apps to my 16GB sd card and that freed up enough space.

Upvote 0
Really? On 3 different Androids I just deleted the system/app folder and rebooted... All the icons disappeared, I figured everything was uninstalled.

For those who don't know -- like me -- pm in this contexts means "package manager". I had to google it just now. Because in forums like this, usually pm means "personal message" :rolleyes: And that didn't make any sense. :)

I've tried installing adb twice and never could get it to work, so I'm not going to stress over this. I moved some of my apps to my 16GB sd card and that freed up enough space.

My ADB has stopped working because of somekind of driver error. This can also be done in a terminal emulator that you can download from the android market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones