• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleting Bloatware

Rooted with Z4Root. I deleted most of the bloatware but wanted to know how to get rid of the T-Mobile tune at startup and shutdown? Anybody done this?

Also a question. If you UNroot, wil the bloatware still be gone? I assume so but want to make sure.

I know there's a wav file for the bootup that you can change but I forgot what it is, or you can change the bootup by flashing another bootup with cwm, or by replacing the bootanimation.zip file with another one. All the info is at XDA.

Yes, the bloatware will still be gone, only when you flash a stock rom will the bloatware restore.

Upvote 0
Rooted with Z4Root. I deleted most of the bloatware but wanted to know how to get rid of the T-Mobile tune at startup and shutdown? Anybody done this?

Also a question. If you UNroot, wil the bloatware still be gone? I assume so but want to make sure.

My root is the same but unable to figure out how ton delete bloatware. would love the how to on this

Upvote 0
I have android mate and cannot delete anything. Maybe my problem is I do not know what bloatware is. And am attempting to delete widgits and applications. Where are these files you speak of located?

Use Titanium backup. That will also get rid of bloatware. That will bring up every app on your phone and you can delete the bloatware you dont want and you jut look for the actual app name.

Upvote 0
.[/QUOTE]Root explorer, it's the only way I do it. Download root explorer, allow SU permissions for root access, open root explorer, click system/app, then delete the apk's and corresponding odex files.[/QUOTE]

Root explorer wanted creditcard. I do not use it or paypal. tmobile acct only. So I installed su file manager. It also require su permission.

Daaaaaam there are tons of stuff down here. there are data files and system files and inside system and data files there are tons of other files. How the h------ do you know what to delete? Is there some guide some place to help you get the right files so you do not dele the wrong thing?

.[/QUOTE]click system/app, then delete the apk's and corresponding odex files.[/QUOTE]

Do you mind giving an example of what an app file would look like. also a corresponding odex file

If there are any persons out there using this file manager give me a holla

Using SU File Manager from market

Upvote 0
Ok, I feel like an idiot. I've searched through these forums and the way everyone talks about Titanium Backup and Android Mate like it's idiot proof and crazy easy to delete all the crap bloatware on my phone.

But I start both, and I see no way to delete all these files like Telnav, Gogo internet, and Media Hub.

I have rooted and have the superuser persmission icon. So that's done.

Now I open Titanium Backup and there's nothing. There's an "overview" page, that doesn't allow me to do anything. I've changed the settings Overview, Backup/Restore, and Schedules. None of them show me a list of applications to delete. It's by no means intuitive at all. I don't know why everyone acts like it's crazy easy and a monkey could do it. I'm not a developer so I'm well behind the curve here, but I'm not a moron (at least I didn't think so).

Astro has nothing intuitive that lets me go in and delete stuff.

I assumed that there would be an uninstaller application like the regular "uninstaller" application, but where the bloatware would actually show up.

In Android Mate, I see the gui that I assumed I would see, and I can see all of the applications listed, but nothing that allows me to actually delete anything. I can "stop" them, but not delete them.

Can anyone walk through the uninstall process for bloatware in a step-by-step process? Or point me to the directions, but because even in the stickied topic, it glosses over the process.

Everyone is like "hey, just root, then use titanium backup and it's easy!"

But I'm obviously missing something.

Upvote 0
Ok, I feel like an idiot. I've searched through these forums and the way everyone talks about Titanium Backup and Android Mate like it's idiot proof and crazy easy to delete all the crap bloatware on my phone.

But I start both, and I see no way to delete all these files like Telnav, Gogo internet, and Media Hub.

I have rooted and have the superuser persmission icon. So that's done.

Now I open Titanium Backup and there's nothing. There's an "overview" page, that doesn't allow me to do anything. I've changed the settings Overview, Backup/Restore, and Schedules. None of them show me a list of applications to delete. It's by no means intuitive at all. I don't know why everyone acts like it's crazy easy and a monkey could do it. I'm not a developer so I'm well behind the curve here, but I'm not a moron (at least I didn't think so).

Astro has nothing intuitive that lets me go in and delete stuff.

I assumed that there would be an uninstaller application like the regular "uninstaller" application, but where the bloatware would actually show up.

In Android Mate, I see the gui that I assumed I would see, and I can see all of the applications listed, but nothing that allows me to actually delete anything. I can "stop" them, but not delete them.

Can anyone walk through the uninstall process for bloatware in a step-by-step process? Or point me to the directions, but because even in the stickied topic, it glosses over the process.

Everyone is like "hey, just root, then use titanium backup and it's easy!"

But I'm obviously missing something.

Titanium is fairly simple once you get used to it. I'd make a backup of all apps and their data first. Did you get the Pro version of Titanium? If not I suggest you do so. It's well worth it since it offers a batch mode.

I can't access my phone at the moment, but if I remember correctly the center button says "Backup/Restore." Press that button and it will start indexing all the apps on the phone.

Wait for the indexing to finish...much easier to navigate after that. It will tell you when it's done.

Once you can see all the apps, find one you want to delete, for example TeleNav (the very first one I got rid of!).

Press on the app name. A pop will appear with clear options. I think the upper right button on the pop up says something like Un-Install in red. Press that.

Titanium will process the removal. Once done you will see the app name grayed out with a line through it. App is gone!

Write back if you have more questions. It really just a matter of getting used to Titanium. I was a bit confused at first too.

Upvote 0
I backed up, but it still only shows me the same 5 things

WI FI access points
country language, time zone
blutetooth pairings
application widgets
accounts.

That's it. No applications. If I click in application wigits, it give me the optioni to delete everything. At no point does it show a lit of individual applications.

I don't have the "pro verson". I don't anticipate using this for long. All I want to do is delete all the bloatware. I don't need to tether or get froyo early or anything like that. I'm just sick of seeing all this crap on my phone.

Is it as simple as going into the system/app folder and just deleting the .apk crap I don't want?

Upvote 0

WI FI access points
blutetooth pairings
application widgets
accounts.

That's it. No applications. If I click in application wigits, it give me the optioni to delete everything. At no point does it show a lit of individual applications.

I don't have the "pro verson". I don't anticipate using this for long. All I want to do is delete all the bloatware. I don't need to tether or get froyo early or anything like that. I'm just sick of seeing all this crap on my phone.

Is it as simple as going into the system/app folder and just deleting the .apk crap I don't want?

You can simply remove the .apks for some things, not all, at least with a stock ROM. I'd head over to xda and look around for that.

xda-developers

If you don't have the Pro version of Titanium you won't have access to batch mode, so you'd have to back up apps individually.

So if you go to Backup/Restore you don't see a list of all installed apps?

Reactions: rayn1328
Upvote 0
No. The only thing it shows me is the 5 things listed. That's it. No list of all applications. I've selected (and unselected) developer USB thing like it says, as well as recognize unknown applications, and it made no difference.

I also went into the file explorer in android mate, went to /system/apps/ and downloaded a bunch of stuff like audiopostcard, telenav and all that worthless crap.

I selected it. Hit delete. It says files were deleted successfully. I scroll down, and they are still there.

I hate the entire cell phone industry. Native android is not this friggin difficult.

Upvote 0
No. The only thing it shows me is the 5 things listed. That's it. No list of all applications. I've selected (and unselected) developer USB thing like it says, as well as recognize unknown applications, and it made no difference.

I also went into the file explorer in android mate, went to /system/apps/ and downloaded a bunch of stuff like audiopostcard, telenav and all that worthless crap.

I selected it. Hit delete. It says files were deleted successfully. I scroll down, and they are still there.

I hate the entire cell phone industry. Native android is not this friggin difficult.

I wouldn't know about native Android, having never actually seen it. But, as I mentioned, with a stock ROM it's not always as simple as deleting just .apk's. There are .odex files related to those apps that need to be removed as well.

Dalvik Optimization and Verification

ODEX files? - Android Developers | Google Groups

I'm surprised you're having trouble with Titanium. About the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall/reinstall and watch for any messages that come up when you reinstall.

Upvote 0

WI FI access points
blutetooth pairings
application widgets
accounts.

You sure you are using Titanium backup? Or maybe you have no Apps..,,lol. When you click the Backup/Restore button, you should see this:

If not, do a reinstall of the app because you should see them all like this.

snap20101208_162005.png

Upvote 0
When I click "Backup/Restore", the only thing that shows up is:
WI FI access points
blutetooth pairings
application widgets
accounts

That's it. But I have a ton of applications installed. I've uninstalled and re-installed this thing a few times.

Between this and my damn battery having about 7 hours of life on idle because of this "cell standby" mess than nobody can figure out, I want to throw this thing against a wall.

Upvote 0
just to prove that I'm not crazy, this weekend when I went to the market to download something else, I was notified of an update for Titanium Backup (I'd already downloaded the most recent version three days ago), and after I downloaded the backup, all of the applications were listed, and I was able to delete whatever I wanted easily.

Upvote 0
just to prove that I'm not crazy, this weekend when I went to the market to download something else, I was notified of an update for Titanium Backup (I'd already downloaded the most recent version three days ago), and after I downloaded the backup, all of the applications were listed, and I was able to delete whatever I wanted easily.

Well, at least you finally got to where you needed to be! :D Glad to hear it.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I'm late to the party. But I read the previous post, rooted my phone and purchased root explorer. I see where RE allows me to delete apps but every time I try to it say, this file cannot be deleted because it is read only. Not a tech wiz on this end, is there something I can do on combat this error message. Also have installed the free version of Titanium Backup but don't see any similar options on that version. Please help, frustrated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones