• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleting Bloatware

Okay, so I'm late to the party. But I read the previous post, rooted my phone and purchased root explorer. I see where RE allows me to delete apps but every time I try to it say, this file cannot be deleted because it is read only. Not a tech wiz on this end, is there something I can do on combat this error message. Also have installed the free version of Titanium Backup but don't see any similar options on that version. Please help, frustrated.

You see no option in Titanium to uninstall something? If you go to the Backup/Restore button do you see a list of all your apps? If so, simply select an app and a popup with appear and from there you can uninstall.

Upvote 0
You see no option in Titanium to uninstall something? If you go to the Backup/Restore button do you see a list of all your apps? If so, simply select an app and a popup with appear and from there you can uninstall.
In backup/restore, my only options are accounts, country/lang/time zone, wi-fi,application widgets and bluetooth, no list of apps at all. Is this because I have the free version?

Upvote 0
Okay, so I'm late to the party. But I read the previous post, rooted my phone and purchased root explorer. I see where RE allows me to delete apps but every time I try to it say, this file cannot be deleted because it is read only. Not a tech wiz on this end, is there something I can do on combat this error message. Also have installed the free version of Titanium Backup but don't see any similar options on that version. Please help, frustrated.

go into Root Explorer, go to System/app. Now at the very tippy top, there is a button that says "Mount R/W" well push it, that will allow you to read and write to your system which allows you to delete things and it gets rid of that nasty error message!

Upvote 0
Thanks Leg3nd and w_bovine, it seems the problem was I didn't have busybox installed as soon as I did, it was very easy. Told you I'm a little wet behind the ears. Do either of you know if there is a full Gingerbread ROM available? Everything I've read says the ones that are out are lacking some essential features. Maybe I should just try Froyo 1st huh?

Upvote 0
Thanks Leg3nd and w_bovine, it seems the problem was I didn't have busybox installed as soon as I did, it was very easy. Told you I'm a little wet behind the ears. Do either of you know if there is a full Gingerbread ROM available? Everything I've read says the ones that are out are lacking some essential features. Maybe I should just try Froyo 1st huh?

I'm a bit surprised...I thought Titanium checked for Busybox when it's run. There's even an update routine for Busybox within Titanium. Or there was at least...

No, no full Gingerbread ROM's out right now. The source code has been released, but it's very generic and of little use right now other than to start trying to make it work on other devices. WiFi and GPS not working are typical problems of half-baked ROM's. It was the same way until Froyo source codes for specific devices started getting leaked.

I'd try Froyo out first really. No reason to wait on that one! :)

Reactions: Bigg77
Upvote 0
Just a note for others who may find this topic -- I just rooted and flashed, and then tried to delete Media Hub with Titanium Backup. But, when I pressed "Media Hub"'s listing in Titanium Backup, instead of the usual popup menu with the "freeze" option, I got a menu that did not provide for deleting or freezing, except for an exploit that would permanently delete the app using two re-starts. That option failed -- I ended up at a dos-like screen, where my only good option seemed to be "reboot", which I did, and ended up with a normal boot and Media Hub still cheerfully loading at startup. In messing around in Titanium Backup's preferences, I found the option to set it to "Chuck Norris mode". Feeling vaguely Chuck Norrisish, I clicked the option and went back to the Media Hub item in Titanium Backup. Voila'! I got the normal popup menu, with the freeze option, which I took. Then, upon re-booting -- no Media Hub. If it would play nice and not run on startup, I'd probably not have bothered, but I resent waiting for all the crapware to run on startup until I can get Advanced Task Killer to kill it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones