• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Deleting Bluetooth connection (OBDII+Torque)

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
I thought to share this experience I had today. I got one of those OBDII Bluetooth (mini ELM327) scanner tools from eBay (about $12) to use with Torque app. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Torque Pro/Lite is one of the best car performance/diagnostic app/tools to pair up with such OBDII scanner that functions on par with $3k pro tools used in auto shops :) You get all the error codes from your car, can clear it easily, and get detailed diagnostics of your car performance. To make long story short, the first OBDII scanner I got was defective, while the second one from Amazon ($24) came working great.

The problem is that once you pair up one Bluetooth OBDII device, it shows up under the same "OBDII" ID name for a replacement device. When you go into BT setup menu and click on Tools icon to "un-pair" it, it disconnects but doesn't delete the device. When I plug a new device in and Scan for it, it find the device under the same "OBDII" name and connects it, but it still has the old device ID number from original device and as a result Torque wasn't able to communicate with it.

Took me a little while, but finally I was able to figure out how to delete that unwanted device. Once you un-pair it you need to reboot your phone, comeback to Bluetooth setup menu and do a fresh scan to acquire a new hardware BT device. That is the only way to do a clean delete if you want to replace it with another scanner that has the same name.

Btw, if anybody using Torque and has some tips/suggestions, I would appreciate it since I'm new to it myself.

Torque is one of my favorite apps, whenever I get in a car with a cel I offer to clear it and read it for them. People are always amazed with it

The gauges are good but a little slow especially the boost gauge but I mainly use it for the temp ones as I have most the main gauges added to my car.

One thing I noticed about torqued is the air fuel ratio gauge is very accurate for being narrow band. I have a lc1 wideband gauge in my car and I tried running the torque af gauge and it was almost dead on with my lc1

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I thought to share this experience I had today. I got one of those OBDII Bluetooth (mini ELM327) scanner tools from eBay (about $12) to use with Torque app. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Torque Pro/Lite is one of the best car performance/diagnostic app/tools to pair up with such OBDII scanner that functions on par with $3k pro tools used in auto shops :) You get all the error codes from your car, can clear it easily, and get detailed diagnostics of your car performance. To make long story short, the first OBDII scanner I got was defective, while the second one from Amazon ($24) came working great.

The problem is that once you pair up one Bluetooth OBDII device, it shows up under the same "OBDII" ID name for a replacement device. When you go into BT setup menu and click on Tools icon to "un-pair" it, it disconnects but doesn't delete the device. When I plug a new device in and Scan for it, it find the device under the same "OBDII" name and connects it, but it still has the old device ID number from original device and as a result Torque wasn't able to communicate with it.

Took me a little while, but finally I was able to figure out how to delete that unwanted device. Once you un-pair it you need to reboot your phone, comeback to Bluetooth setup menu and do a fresh scan to acquire a new hardware BT device. That is the only way to do a clean delete if you want to replace it with another scanner that has the same name.

Btw, if anybody using Torque and has some tips/suggestions, I would appreciate it since I'm new to it myself.

Torque is one of my favorite apps, whenever I get in a car with a cel I offer to clear it and read it for them. People are always amazed with it

The gauges are good but a little slow especially the boost gauge but I mainly use it for the temp ones as I have most the main gauges added to my car.

One thing I noticed about torqued is the air fuel ratio gauge is very accurate for being narrow band. I have a lc1 wideband gauge in my car and I tried running the torque af gauge and it was almost dead on with my lc1

Finally purchased my elm327 and hopefully will get a chance to test it out this weekend! I've been wanting to get a boost gauge for my car for a long time, but didn't want to go through the trouble of installing (as I have less and less time to enjoy modding nowadays). Nonetheless, this device will save me some time and energy. Can't wait to see if I'm having any issues with boost and/or oil temp, since I've removed some of my mods and the car has been running rough lately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones