• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Deleting Contact Shortcut

PBarnaby

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
I'm sure this is a dumb question that's been asked hundreds of times. I (or possibly my kids) have accidentally installed a contact shortcut on the main screen of my Galaxy Ace. All the advice I see on how to delete it boils down to select and hold the shortcut icon and drag to bottom of screen. But if I select and hold the contact shortcut, it just dials the number. How do I avoid this? I've been accidentally phoning this poor guy (not even a close friend) several times a day because the shortcut is right in the middle of my main screen. (Yes, I am quite old.)

I just re-read that and realize the last bit didn't make sense. The shortcut is in such a position on my main screen that I almost inevitably hit it by accident when handling the phone several times a day. When I hit it, it dials the number. I'd be happy even if I could find a way of moving it to another screen without setting it off again.

Upvote 0
Its a simple drag and drop procedure, press the button and keep it pressed, now slowly start moving your finger down towards the bottom of the screen without letting go and when you reach the bottom the shortcut will get deleted. If you press the button for a second and remove your finger then it will get dialed but if you keep it pressed then you will see a DELETE option appear at the bottom of the screen, you just have to drag the icon to that option.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this. You know, I think I was misled by advice I saw elsewhere online that suggested you needed a delicate touch. It's pretty much the opposite, isn't it? As I'm spectacularly clumsy at the best of times, I was attempting to touch the shortcut icon very lightly and cautiously and setting off the dial every time. It works better if you adopt a crush-and-smear approach.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones