Deleting data on Facebook & Twitter?

1. westbros

westbros Well-Known Member

I have noticed that the amount of data on my Facebook app, and to a lesser degree my Twitter app, is increasing, and like many/most Desire owners I am conscious of the available memory on my phone. A couple of days ago I had 55 MB left, today I am suddenly down to 53 MB, and Facebook has now become the largest app on my phone, having overtaken Google Maps. If I deleted the data on both Facebook and Twitter I would reclaim nearly 9 MB. Before I take this step, I would like to know what effect there will be if I do delete the data? What will I be losing?

I have no intention of deleting data from other standalone apps, but it seems to me that the Facebook and Twitter apps are just mobile reflections of what is available on the web, so I reckon there wouldn't be much risk if I deleted data. Or am I wrong?

If it's any use, I am using Facebook version 1.5.1 and Twitter version 2.0.1. I really wish both of these could be moved to the SD card. The same applies to Google Maps - if Google Sky Maps can go to SD, why can't Google Maps? This would save me a huge amount of space.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Duv

Duv Well-Known Member

i no longer use the Facebook for android app because of this, unfortunately cant delete it, i assume without rooting which I'm not interested in personally.
    I've started using flow for Facebook, I now get notifications hourly (if there are any) and it doesn't eat loads of space
    I've then synced contact details with gmail
  3. tomhunter

tomhunter Active Member

yeah, i frequently accumulate large data on Fbook. I have been clearing it periodically and the only thing that happens is you have to re-enter your username and password.

I have no idea what the data is, but you are probably right. how can an app that merely passes info on from a website, suffer from clearing the data.
  4. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

My Twitter client(Plume) also gets a large build up of data but it has an option for backing up settings so it's easy enough to clear the data and get back to how I was,I'm sure other Twitter apps have this function aswell not sure on Facebook though as I don't use it.;)
  5. Chilly McFreeze

Chilly McFreeze Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you're referring to Facebook or Facebook for HTC Sense. If you clear the data from the first one you'll have to put your log in details again, and the app will have to download your wall posts etc again. If you clear the data from the second one, the only thing I noticed when doing that was that it cleared out the FriendStream history, and seeing as I don't use FriendStream I wasn't too bothered.
  6. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

Over time Twitter for Android stores a ridiculous amount of data.
  7. Zaichik

Zaichik Well-Known Member

On a related note, how do you delete birthdays generated by Facebook from the calendar ap? I recently unfriended someone from my Facebook profile, but their birthday still appears in the calendar with no apparent way of deleting it.
  8. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

You can delete Facebook data, but it stores most of what you do as data and not cache, so you actually have to delete its data from within Manage Apps. The only problem with this is it deletes your Facebook settings. It's just another reason why the official Android app is a bit rubbish.
  9. Bradden

Bradden Well-Known Member

I also find that Skype just grows and grows.. deleting data doesn't seem to cause any issues though.