Deleting E-mail on Phone OnlySupport

Last Updated:

1. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any way to delete e-mails, for Gmail or Exchange, w/o deleting them from my actual account? The nice thing about my BlackBerry is that it gave you the option to "Delete from Handheld, or Delete from Handheld & Inbox".

I'd like to be able to clear unnecessary e-mails from my phone, but keep some of them in my actual inbox.

Advertisement
  2. nate3382

nate3382 Member

I'd like the know the same thing since im new to android

3. jrbaker8

jrbaker8 Active Member

i dont have mine yet so i do not know, but if you dont have that option, perhaps you could just create an archive folder and move emails in there that you do not want to come up on your main inbox on your phone?

4. To0l

To0l Active Member

Ok I tested this and it seems to work!!!
    it is deleting mail on phone but not on mail server

1. Click Mail Icon
    2. Menu Button
    3. More
    4. Settings
    5. Send and Receive
    6. Uncheck Delete mail on server

humboldtsgt, LiQUiDBuD and veccster like this.
  5. windycity

windycity Well-Known Member

What you need to do is set up the account using POP instead if IMAP/ActiveSync. POP "pulls" the messages from the server and doesn't send back read status, delete etc. Understand, though, that the real power of the ActiveSync is that it keeps everything matched up (web to work to home etc). If you search Gmail help, you'll find the POP settings.

6. ncsustash

ncsustash Well-Known Member

why would you only want to delete it on the phone??? you then have to go delete it off the server later on.... It isn't like you are going to run out of space as long as it doesn't download large attachements...

7. fastharryDOTcom

fastharryDOTcom Well-Known Member

tagged..

8. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Well-Known Member

I have the feeling that the O.P is like me...a little OCD. I hate it when I'm out of the office, and my inbox is filled with read mail, that I've already read on the handheld. I can't delete most of these emails, as I will answer many of them in detail, when I get back in the office.

So, what I did to keep my inbox empty on the Droid...I created a folder called "AAction" in Gmail on the desktop. After I've read an email on the Incredible, I move it to the AAction folder. Because of the double AA's, it is the first folder under "inbox" on the desktop.

Then, when I get into the office, the first thing I do is to check the "AAction" folder to respond to previously read email that need responses.

9. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

Mine must have been set to the "delete on phone only" already. I want to delete it from the server though, most of its junk mail.

10. appleaj

I just like to get rid of e-mails that I don't necessarily need on my phone. Just because I don't want them with me all of the time doesn't mean that I don't want them at all.

11. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

I wanted to know this as well. Also, do you have to constantly stay logged into Gmail? I would like to be able to type in my password, and not have Gmail always open if you will.

Thanks.

12. appleaj

I don't have the Uncheck Delete Mail on Server option.

Under Send & Recieve I have: Mail Size Limit, Message Format, Set Download Frequency, Download Past Mail, Include File Attachment, Reply with Original Text, & Always bcc me.

13. hammonfd

hammonfd Member

To add a bit of confusion to this mess, I added a new account to my phone (Comcast). Let's say 200 messages came onto the device as UNREAD, even though they were read when I log into Comcast on the PC. I know this is POP and that is to be expected. However, when I had a Blackberry, I had the option to "Mark All Prior Opened". Does the HTC Incredible have this capability? I want to mark all 200 messages as read on the device.

14. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member

Yeah, i'm a 5 year blackberry user, and i loved the option to delete on phone, or delete on phone and mail. All the junk mail would get deleted on both, and stuff that I would read in the office later, or stuff i want to keep but have no need to have it on the phone i'd delete with "phone only" option. I have a yahoo account set up on the Inc, and deleted about 20 emails thinking it was phone only, and when I did that, i saw them disappear from yahoo web mail, and they werent in deleted items on the web page, and certainly not in deleted items on the phone, so just like that, gone, 20 messages that i might or might not have needed, but still, i'd like to at least delete from phone only if i can't have both of the options "phone only, or phone and server"

15. j joy j

j joy j New Member

Ditto here...Love that I can choose 'delete on handheld or both' on the blackberry.

I have a Google Apps email (business) and want them delivered to my phone ASAP, the DInc. I also want the option to delete on phone and leave it on the server. If you use the POP via the HTC email app it gives you the option to 'save copy on server' but it isn't instantly delivered to the phone. (I have my Tour and DInc pulling them both at the same time to test, sometimes it takes 25 minutes to get the email on the DInc). If I use the actual GMail email app on the DInc then you don't have the option to leave a copy on the server.

Help? LOL
    Thanks

16. jkmasi

jkmasi Well-Known Member

One of the things I miss most coming from a Blackberry is email handling in general - push imap email, (not Gmail), ability to increase font size even in the compose field, delete from hand held option, etc. I've been on android since Jan and I still miss my Blackberry for email.

Might go back...

17. BlueSnake01

BlueSnake01 Well-Known Member

+1 I want my E-Mails to be deleted of the server too but its not giving me the option either. Maybe it depends on the mail client?

18. appleaj

Bump

19. JuniorNA

guess there is no way for yahoo users.

20. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

You don't happen to work for AAAAAAAAPlumbing do you? :p

Sorry...bad phone book joke. :rolleyes:

21. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

also, when you delete pop3 emails on your phone only, and they go into a "deleted" items folder on the phone, should you also delete them from the "deleted items" folder?
    is that an actual folder on the phone, that grows larger and larger as it gets more filled up with "deleted emails", or is it a "virtual folder" that doesnt really take up any room?

thanks

22. JuniorNA

Well first, how are you able to delete emails on phone only? is it because you used POP yahoo instead of IMAP yahoo?
    Also, that folder is a real folder, because POP sends the data to the phone and it stays on the phone until you delete it. Pop users have sent emails go into the sent folder, where as IMAP users don't see their sent mail.

So your deleted items folder does exist and should be cleared from there if you wanted. But thats why you have 8g , so you can keep stuff

23. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

Well, I am NOT using Yahoo email, so not sure why you think that..
    I use comcast, gmail, and a few other pop3 accounts

I figured I should clean out the deleted emails from the pop accounts, since I dont need to save them on my phone, AND my home pc, where they also reside

24. slumpey

slumpey Well-Known Member

I dont see this option #6 anywhere.

I am using a gmail account with the htc mail widget. Should I be using POP/IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync

25. sdollen1

sdollen1 New Member

anyone know how to delete multiple emails on gmail and/or how to empty the junk mail folder on gmail? :)