Deleting Emails only on the Phone?Support

Last Updated:

1. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to do this, i know my bb tour gave me the option to only delete emails on phone, but still keep them on the server.

Advertisement
  2. esn

esn Well-Known Member

In your gmail no but all others you can. You can make a read folder in gmail and put them in there. I have my gmail set that my view is just the in box no other folders.

3. smartgroup

smartgroup Member

Pls clarify this. I would like to know how to delete email only on the phone and not on the server.

4. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

from your email

settings>receive settings>delete on server set to OFF

its not like BB where you can choose for every email. you would have to go in each to to change this setting around

edit: Not available for Gmail, only other mail

odiej34 likes this.
  5. armoredsaint

where are you seeing that? for the life of me, i can't find it anywhere? i have a yahoo account.

i went to email > menu > more > settings... i checked account settings also for incoming and outgoing?

6. Kappen

Kappen Well-Known Member

that an option on the Gmail system I don't believe its on your phone so if your using yahoo I don't think you will find the same options

7. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

Its possible it wont work for yahoo. It works for my hotmail account. yahoo is different i would guess

8. docp

docp Active Member

it no longer works for my pop email...it just stopped working recently, leaving the delete email on server unchecked still deletes my email on my pop server

9. armoredsaint

does anyone know if i actually pay extra for yahoo plus email, will get this feature? and i can go from IMAP to POP instead?

10. kmoore11

kmoore11 Well-Known Member

Go to mail. Menu > more > settings > send & receive > uncheck delete from server. That should work.

11. AlexNC

AlexNC Well-Known Member

12. livspop

livspop Well-Known Member

That option is not there for me on Exchange mail or for my Gmail, which run through the main mail program....

13. Angel_Shooter

Angel_Shooter Active Member

I'm using the normal yahoo and get my emails on my incredible. Follow these instructions that Crimton originally posted for the Droid - worked on my Inc. In the incoming and outgoing you also have a box that drops down (I "think" it's where you can set SSL), choose "NONE."

Originally Posted by crimton [​IMG]
    i just have to have wifi off if i wanna check my yahoo mail. its kindof annoying but not a dealbreaker by any means.

Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off
    Press the E-Mail icon (the default Android E-Mail application)
    Enter your Yahoo E-Mail address and password
    Press

14. HCE

HCE New Member

So to clarify -- there's no way to delete gmail messages on the phone but keep them on the computer? And one solution is to create a "read" folder on the phone + move everything there? Is there a way to "select all?" I'm missing my BB a lot on these points......

15. ShortBusHEMI

ShortBusHEMI Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with how BB check Gmail.. but I'm assuming it did it through pop and not IMAP.. imap syncs e-mail with your phone and the server, so if u delete it from one, it deletes it from the other. where as POP mail isn't synced, it's basically downloaded twice. which is kind of a pain cause if u have two places checking the same account u have to mark each one read in two places.

16. JoyceCIL

JoyceCIL New Member

I had a blackberry with yahoo email & work email (internet based not corp exchange server) and was able to delete emails from handset only (preference). Switched to Droid X2 and set up additional gmail account. For my gmail & yahoo email accounts, I didn't have setting options to delete only from handset. Also, never got the webmail/smartmail work email account to work. I returned the Droid! I was told by Verizon tech support that the Droid operating system wouldn't support this but it looked like the iphone as well as the blackberry operating systems would (I already have 2 yrs experience with bb so I know it works).

17. Prime Minister

Prime Minister New Member

I have just moved to an Android phone and the inability to delete mail from the device but not from my gmail account on the PC is a huge downer for me.
    Essentially it means that I will have to store masses of mail on my droid phone.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S2. Does anyone know if I can transfer the mail to the micro sd card rather than store them in the phones memory?