Deleting Large Message threadsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. duel007

duel007 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm having trouble deleting a message thread that is over 1500 messages.. Using the stock Message Delete just results in a force close after a few minutes, and using the app called SMS Quick Delete results in nothing at all, even after running for almost half an hour.

Is there an easier way to do this? Is it possible to connect to my computer via usb and browse to manually delete the messages?

Thanks,

-Duel007

Ps: Using Droid Eris on Verizon.

Advertisement
  2. duel007

duel007 Member This Topic's Starter

Bump :D

3. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

4. Extodus

Extodus Active Member

Same problem here. I'm using an app called "Delete all messages" by JADs Limited. It takes a while but I think it's going to work.

5. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple different phones (smart and dumb) that lock up when deleting large #s of messages. try deleting them around 400. it takes a minute, but no force closes so far for me.

6. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Damn 1500 is a lot of text messages in one thread. I usually just do a delete all every week or so, or if one starts to get big which for me is about 150 haha

7. kateOHSNAP

kateOHSNAP New Member

Mine wont even let me delete threads of 2 anymore. is there any way to fix that?

8. MissionCommander

MissionCommander Member

Just allow it some time to delete. I used to have the same problem and found that just giving it about 30 seconds to process your request usually does the trick.

9. Extodus

Extodus Active Member

Delete old messages by JADS limited on the Market is an awesome app.

When I first got my phone I unknowingly let my threads get huge and had the same problems deleting them. But I used this app, let it run overnight, to get them down to a manageable size. Now I just run the "Delete messages older than 1 day" option every night or every other night and it works fast to keep all my messages around like 100 per person. I text a lot.

smileyb likes this.
  10. smileyb

smileyb Active Member

Nice. I had that problem too and just left my phone for a few hours. The messages did finally delete but this seems like a very useful app.