Deleting Native Apps

Last Updated:

1. Rob Does

Rob Does Member This Topic's Starter

I've got a Droid 1 and am rooted w/BB rom. I was under the impression that I could go to my file manager and delete any apps, including native apps. However, the core or native apps list isn't available to me. How do I access and edit this list?

Thanks for your help.

Rob Does(n't...yet)

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

you can either use root explorer to rename them the .bak or delete them.

3. Rob Does

At the risk of sounding ******ed, what do you mean by "rename them the .bak"? I'm a noob so some of the lingo is lost on me.

I've downloaded a couple of different file explorers requiring root access and haven't found how to delete native apps. They do give the option of renaming them, though.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

4. Rob Does

Hm...at the risk of sounding *reta&ded*...

5. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Rename to a .bak extension so it doesn't get loaded and you still have it as a backup.

Below would be an example in terminal, feel free to use a file manager like root explorer to do the same in a pretty gui.

Code (Text):
    1. mv /system/app/Launcher2.apk /system/app/Launcher2.apk.bak
    This renames Launcher2.apk to Launcher2.apk.bak. This stops it from being loaded, but still available to rename back if you change your mind.

Hope that makes sense.

Rob Does likes this.
  6. robotobos

robotobos Member

i dont have experience with file managers, but removing apps from the terminal is FUN, and not hard to do either. after u get a terminal app, open, and type...

on the last line, CorpCal.apk is the corporate calendar app. you want to replace this with whatever you are trying to remove. to see the contents of a folder in the terminal, type ' ls ' thats lowercase L lowercase s

just as reference (knowing is half the battle) su is 'super user' permission
    mount makes the file system continuous and accessible to the user
    -o is option, rw is read write
    cd is change directory
    rm is remove

Rob Does likes this.
  7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

BTW, the paid version of Titanium Backup can "freeze" apps and IIRC that will back them up and keep them from showing up in your app drawer and the market for updating, but you can still "unfreeze" them and get the back.. like a nice GUI method of some of the more cryptic methods above for the intrepid terminal or file explorer user

8. evolutionmn

evolutionmn New Member

Robo, Su does not stand for super user, it is used to work with another users files. It stands for switch user and when you don't enter any valid username the shell will assume root. A very common mis conception.