Deleting old roms??

Last Updated:

1. DaveM1

DaveM1 Member This Topic's Starter

Are you supposed to delete the roms from the sd card after you flash new ones to keep space on the sd card or does it matter? I have tried about 3 different roms and currently running vanilla 2.0, but want to try Black Rain. Should i just delete my "old" roms from my sd card if i already have nand back ups of my other roms?

Advertisement
  2. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

if you have nands of the rom installs theres no reason to keep them on the SD...... its safe to delete them .... all theyre doing is taking up space

3. DaveM1

DaveM1 Member This Topic's Starter

Perfect...thanks

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

No reason to keep flashed zip files, as copestag tells you, unless you want to do a re-flash for some reason, even then it seems best to free up the space and just move the zip back onto the card via USB if needed.

I keep them for a while in my computer, but remove them right away from the sd card via Root Explorer.

kobel1up likes this.
  5. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I also delete mine after a while, just to make it easier in Recovery to get them back.

I have an "Eris root files" folder on Dropbox with copies of the ROMs I am testing/running, so it's pretty easy if I ever need to get them back - download with Dropbox, use Astro to move the files to the root directory of my SD card, and I am ready to restart in recovery and flash the ROM.

6. Night_Watchman

Night_Watchman Member

The zip-files are needed to be in the root of your SD while flashing the rom. Once it's in use the zip-files are not needed however you will need to put them back if you want to re-flash the ROM again.

7. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

You know, I have read lots of threads on roms flashing and the such. This is one of the questions I have had. If I understand this right, I can keep different roms on my sdcard in the form of a nand, the nand keeps all the important stuff to run the phone right.

Can I just delete the zip files while hooked up to the computer? Or do I have to use root explorer?

8. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

You can delete whatever you want on the /sdcard using whatever tool you like (Astro File Manager, Estrongs File Explorer, Root Explorer, adb shell, etc.).

The /sdcard is wide-open.

Now, you do need to use good judgement about which Nandroid backups to keep, delete, etc. :D

9. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

Also can I just move the nand file to my computer just in case my sdcard gets damaged?
    Thats what happened to me today, had to start all over even though I had a nand backup. I couldn't get the backup on my pc so I was sol.

Here is another one for you guys, do I need to keep all my files like pictures and music and stuff on my sdcard or just put the nand back on the card.

10. VonKannick

VonKannick Well-Known Member

It is just like copying files to or from any other media. Just think of it as a flash drive and you will be fine.

kobel1up likes this.
  11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Yes to this - I think that you have no choice but to have photos taken with the camera and music files that you wish to play stored on the SD card. I suppose that if you have copied photos from your phone to somewhere else - your PC, Picasa, Flickr, wherever - you can then delete them from the phone.