Deleting shortcuts, widgets on homescreen?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Young85, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Young85

Young85 New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Printer
    Montreal
    It's very easy to add shortcuts or widgets onto the home screen but I can't find how to delete them. For widgets I can delete the app If I don't want it anymore...but If i still need it how do i take it off...

I added a mail shortcut on the home screen, and I haven't been using it since my e-mails are synced.... I need the room on my home screen but can't delete it! Plz help.

Thank You

Advertisement
  2. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    UK
    Press on the widget until you see a red banner come up saying remove then just drag it off your home screen.

3. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Hold your finger on the widget like you were going to move it, and at the bottom of the screen the word REMOVE appears with a picture of a bin next to it.. It's in the manual too.

4. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    UK
    Well did that fix ? it will we ever find out.

5. dinosaurgal

dinosaurgal Member

Apr 19, 2010
    It works for me. :)
    Trying to remove my "Messages" short cut.
    Just hold your finger on the icon and the remove button will appear at the bottom.
    But I need to hold on my finger without letting go, or else the remove button will disappear the moment i let go.
    2 hands required. :p

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Are you trying to click on the remove button? :S Just drag the icon to the remove button.

7. dinosaurgal

dinosaurgal Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Hahaha. Thanks for the tip Xtiro.
    I'm a total android noob. Just got my 2 days old HTC magic :p

8. john713

john713 New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Hey I know how to delete things off of my homescreen but for some reason it is not working.. I hold the icon and it does nothing. I can still go in to my all apps section and hold a icon/app and add it to my home screen so my phones working fine but I was wondering if there was some setting I might have turned off for the home screen delete option Im using adw launcher and adw gingerbread theme. Ohh and I am on CM7 android 2.3.4

9. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    ADW can lock the homescreen against edits. I think you can enable/disable it by hitting menu and picking one of the options it gives you there.

10. ChadKaplowski

ChadKaplowski Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    IT Test Manager/Problem Manager; Financial Service
    Cardiff; UK
    ok, another noob question - that worked fine for me (sorry, got my Android based phone today so am learning - slowly) How do I remove the blank scrceens that then creates in the widgets?

EDIT : Never mind - delving into other forums on this site I can see that isn't possible. Search feature win!

11. Repsej

Repsej New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Hi, I know that you figured it out.
    But for anyone else that visits this thread looking for answers I just wanted to note that there is a nice guide for handling widgets on your home screen to be found on this website (sorry I cannot provide a full link, but I am new on this forum).
    Hope this might help someone :)

First part of the URL:
    apps.akosta.dk

Here is the second part of the URL:
    /how-to-add-an-android-widget-to-your-homescreen/

Tags: