Deleting the Messages Ap

Last Updated:

1. howie_07

howie_07 New Member This Topic's Starter

I recently downloaded the handcent messages ap which is a massive improvement on the standard one i got with my phone my only problem is now i cant delete the old one. Can anyone help?

Advertisement
  2. monkegeo

monkegeo Active Member

There's a guide here to uninstalling default apps.

You need to be rooted, plus you need to be sure that Handcent doesn't rely on anything in the messaging app. You definitely wan't to do a Nandroid backup before you do this.

Personally, I'd just turn off all the notifications inthe messaging app and leave it.

3. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

There really is no point in removing the existing messaging app.

The actual transmission, reception and storage of messages is all handled by the OS itself. Both the default app and handcent merely give you different ways to view and manipulate stored messages (and compose new ones) - if you delete a message in handcent it disappears from the default app too, and vice versa.

You can turn off notifications from the default app by running it and selecting [menu] -> settings -> notifications. Once youve done this, the only impact the default app has on your system is a few kb of storage (hardly a big deal since handcent takes a couple of Mb IIRC). Not really worth the effort of rooting to remove it, and certainly not worth the risk of breaking something else that needs it.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I have read that removing the default SMS app will bugger up your phone's ability to deal with texts, as the app is still involved even when using handcent. I haven't ever wanted to test it out my self :p