Dell Streak coming out..Ditch Captivate?

Last Updated:

1. Uzza

Uzza Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

If these had come out in reverse order (Streak than Captivate) it might be a different story for me, but I love my Captivate...and the Streak is still running 1.6, and I believe isn't scheduled for 2.1 until sometime in September (and I may be remembering that wrong).

3. Darkeligos

Darkeligos Well-Known Member

LOL no ditching for me. I've heard a rumor or two about it. One being that the price doesn't justify it, being that it is supposedly isn't half as fast as a Captivate, but the screen size is nice.

The other being that apparently the device is locked into landscape mode. It is confirmed to have it's home screen and app drawer locked to landscape I believe.

4. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Haha why would you want something that big in your pocket and on your face?

5. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

That thing will be DOA. Overpriced and underpowered. Too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet.

6. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

I don't think it will do well because of two major flaws. The first major flaw is that it is running 1.6 instead of 2.1 or 2.2 android. The second major flaw, and possibly the one that truly did it in, it has been "finished" for a long time and Dell really dropped the ball on releasing it to the public. Waiting as long as they have, they should have just waited til the end of the year and released it with either a dual core or with a 2ghz processor.

7. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

old technology, last gen phone with 2-gen old android. no.

8. Dennis_Bham

Dennis_Bham Well-Known Member

Dell Streak is too big for a practical phone (for me) ...

9. Terrigno

Terrigno Well-Known Member

I for one love Dell Products. I use all Dell products mainly when it comes to computers. Its a nice little tablet, but for the money and its specs it isnt good enough. The Captivate is still nice and small. Perfect for the phone size.

10. MrTony

MrTony Banned

I was a Streak fan and was plannin to buy one - back in May. Dell completely fumbled the release of the device and when I saw the specs on the Captivate I knew where my money was going. I don't regret it a bit.

11. cdsiemer

cdsiemer New Member

If the front facing camera is the big deal, why not just clip a small mirror infront of the camera? Now, the Captivate can too be a video conference phone. ;)

12. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I may get it...running sling on a 5" screen should be pretty nice. I'd buy it off-contract from a 3rd party discount vendor however.

13. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

I watched the Engadget review. Freaking hilarious. Personally, I like the idea of a tablet that can make phone calls, but the size makes it less practical as a music player to take on runs or even a GPS unit, creating a bigger blind spot.

What really didn't make any sense to me is the screen resolution is still 480x800, the exact same as the Captivate, and most 3.5 inch devices for that matter. They just stretched the pixels out. At that size, they really need to bump the resolution or it's going to look all grainy. Also, TFT display, wtf? I'm hooked on my SAMOLED!

Besides that, processor, memory, storage, all the same as smaller devices. If they're going to make a Goliath of a phone, put some horse power in it, especially if you are going to charge another hundred bucks.

I imagine I'll swing by AT&T and play with one, but I think the Captivate is an all around better device (yes, even with its issues. Ah, but long-term Dell support would be nice. Maybe next year...).

14. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Sally? Hahaha, excellent!

Yeah, once you get to 5" or larger, it's starts looking like a supplemental device vs. a phone replacement. When it doesn't fit easily in a pocket, etc., it's special use only.

That doesn't even address the technical short comings.

I'm waiting for a tablet myself, it doesn't even have to have cell connectivity (just WiFi), in the 6-7" range, with improved resolution (something video friendly like 1280x720).

15. bllester

bllester Member

The first reason not to even look at it, is because it's a Dell product. Their PC support sucks even for me and I have a government service contract. I can't imagine even bothering dell for support with my phone. Hellz no.

16. tomq

tomq Well-Known Member

ive just replaced my desire with the streak. and it really does not seem much slower. the only place i really notice it is on the browser but its about the same as pre froyo desire. so no complaints there. its really isnt too big i havnt found a pocket on my cloths it doesnt fit into. the only 3 negatives i would say is 1.6 not every app works (paper toss only app ive had a problem with). 2 headphone port in the wrong place. 3. loud speaker was better on the desire.

17. peterpp

peterpp Well-Known Member

Dell, YUCK!

18. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Well-Known Member

+1 for me, i felt the exact same way.

19. highspeed11

highspeed11 Member

I would get the Sony Xperia X10 over the Streak. Captivate over either of 'em.