• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dell Streak - First Impressions coming from an X10

nb_mitch

Android Enthusiast
May 28, 2010
Florida
www.r2katie.com
I swapped a SE X10 for a Dell Streak today. (Well actually the SE X10 was shipped back to Amazon on Sunday and I got the Dell this afternoon at Best Buy, so that left me a few days with my old Blackberry Curve in between :D

I haven't had much time yet, but in general the huge differences are size, even though it is only 1" diagonal difference in screen, it is a huge inch :eek: It also seems to weigh allot more, which you have to expect since it is much bigger.

Beyond the obvious, I like the Dell UI better than the Sony UI. The Sony had 3 pages and the Dell has 4, but that isn't a big deal for me. It doesn't have the initial swipe to unlock and when I make a call it doesn't instantly go back into lock mode which irratated me about the X10.

It only took me about 30 minutes to get the basics set up, sync gmail and install AppBrain and get everything loaded. The battery seemed to charge much faster and hold a charge better. Both are running 1.6, Dell suppose to update to 2.2 in 2 weeks.

WunderRadio played instantly after installing it where as on the SE I had issues for a few weeks.

I don't like the Proprietary connector and placement of 3.5mm plug, I haven't taken any pictures or used any other Apps to compare them.

So far so good.

I also like the keyboard better including the num pad, which doesn't require you to constantly be flipping between 2 different keyboards. The keyboard also seems to be allot more accurate. Maybe that is partly because I had the X10 to practice for 29 days, but the Dell seems to give me what I want and not the next key over.

I don't like that the home screens are all locked in Landscape mode and my Beautiful Widgets doesn't seem to work well, not a size issue, in fact it seems smaller, but it just doesn't look right (at least the beach scene skin is off).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the good thread guys. I've been doing a lot of research on reviews to see if the streak would be right for me coming from the sprint evo (, which I think is comparable to the galaxy s). Coming off an htc, I was afraid of a slow or choppy dell ui, but I think I'll go pick one up tomorrow. I have an available att line and was debating whether to drop that or my sprint, but looks like I'm gonna put my evo up for sale.

On a side note, I heard the bb put the streak on sale for $99 to push out current models to make room for dual core models coming out next year. Anyone else hear about this?

Upvote 0
IMO, they need to fix batteries first if they want to come out with those.

I had the att galaxy also and I liked it but since this has froyo and a FULLY working gps its better right there. The dell ui is not bad, although I didnt change the home screen on it since I love launcher pro. I find the streak awesome! For one im a big guy so I need a big phone!

Upvote 0
On a side note, I heard the bb put the streak on sale for $99 to push out current models to make room for dual core models coming out next year. Anyone else hear about this?
The Streak2 Duo core isn't scheduled for release until May. It is a bit early for them to be dumping inventory. If the S2 release goes anything like the original Streak, we won't see one in the US until August :eek:

Dell also dropped the price to $199 (where it should have been to begin with). I think what you see is the standard cellphone model for most resalers. They normally start at $199 and then start to drop the price as a device becomes old or newer models arrive until it is free and then discontinued or replaced with a newer model. The only reason the price has stayed high, is Best Buy has the exclusive on it and even At&t isn't selling the Streak.

CES 2011 is also just around the corner. We might see some newer devices announced then and 4G devices will start showing up on all networks this year.

I bought my X10 for $119 from Amazon in November, now it is Free and every Android phone that At&t offers is Free on Wirefly (and probably Wal-Mart right now).

Upvote 0
i ended up with the locked 1.6 version, and it is so buggy I'm actually returning it during the 'buyers remorse' period.

It vibrates all buy itself even if there's no incoming messages, has email push problems and without 3G ON NETWORK AT&T won't let me roam...so basically i have no data if i'm out of an ATT tower.

$99 @ Best Buy will be that phone's residual price, and after talking with some high level folks here @ corp office, that phone is a brick to sell...not just because of it's size (women don't want it), but because of the inability to do things a lot of other phones (Droid, X, EVO, etc) already do.

if you are happy with your model, there'll be another one on the market tonight when I return mine.

AT&T needs substantially upgrade their roaming agreements if they are going to sell 'smart' phones.

Upvote 0
I am only on day 5, but so far I really like it. The only negative to me is the weight. I never really thought about how much a larger device would weigh. My BB Curve was 3.7 then my x10 was 4.8 oz and the Streak is 6.4 or about 50% more. Only seems to bother me on a long call.

After I got it set up, I have not experienced any issues. My usage may be different than most, working from home, my devices stays on Wifi 99% of the time. When I leave the house I don't care that much if it isn't connecting constantly :D

My battery life is about a day the X10 was worse but with my old BB Curve, I could go 4 days. I am getting use to just plugging it in every night, so not a big deal. I may set my polling down a little, see if that helps.

Upvote 0
i ended up with the locked 1.6 version, and it is so buggy I'm actually returning it during the 'buyers remorse' period.

It vibrates all buy itself even if there's no incoming messages, has email push problems and without 3G ON NETWORK AT&T won't let me roam...so basically i have no data if i'm out of an ATT tower.

$99 @ Best Buy will be that phone's residual price, and after talking with some high level folks here @ corp office, that phone is a brick to sell...not just because of it's size (women don't want it), but because of the inability to do things a lot of other phones (Droid, X, EVO, etc) already do.

if you are happy with your model, there'll be another one on the market tonight when I return mine.

AT&T needs substantially upgrade their roaming agreements if they are going to sell 'smart' phones.

Wow... I've read your troll posts on every thread Ive clicked so far. Lucky me. I'm sure most people got the point after one post. No need for the repetition. You "ended up with a locked 1.6 version"? What the hell does that mean -- "ended up"? What was it... a lottery prize? A Christmas present from mom and dad?

There was obviously no due diligence on your part. You would have known in advance that it is 1.6, soon to be 2.2... You would know how and where to "upgrade" it to 2.2 manually if you wanted. You would know what your recourse is in the event that you get a dud, or two, or three. (There's someone in every forum with your atypical "luck".) You would know about ATT's coverage in your area, and you obviously know that there is a gracious trial period to make sure it's something you'll enjoy.

So it's not for you or your neck of the woods -- whatever. Get another make and model, find their respective forum, and go spout something productive.:)

Upvote 0
I'm glad I finally found the right forum where people are comparing Streak with other phones. I just bought Captivate 2 weeks ago and now am wondering about switching to the Streak. I use my phone more like a tablet than a phone, so this may be a better fit.

I went to Best Buy to look at the phone, and it's quite large, even for me and I'm a big guy. I felt a bit silly when I held the phone to my ear.

Do you get strange looks when talking on the phone?

What your experience on battery life, is it less than a Galaxy S type-phone?

Upvote 0
I don't think most people realize it is a phone until you hold it up to your ear, they maybe think it is a gaming system or something. I don't think it would even cross my mind if I hadn't constant read it on various forums or websites, it feels fine when talking to someone on the phone. It is a bit heavier than my X10 and a long conversation can start to make my wrist sore, but I don't do many calls, and I do use the speaker phone when I can. I am not much for a bluetooth, but that is always an option too.

Battery life is poor compared to my old Blackberry Curve which could go 4 days on a charge, compared to the X10, I think it is about the same, lasting about a day or day and half. My usage is lite and almost all on Wifi, I use WunderRadio for about 4 hours each morning and then a few phone calls, emails, web browsing.

Upvote 0
I'm glad I finally found the right forum where people are comparing Streak with other phones. I just bought Captivate 2 weeks ago and now am wondering about switching to the Streak. I use my phone more like a tablet than a phone, so this may be a better fit.

I went to Best Buy to look at the phone, and it's quite large, even for me and I'm a big guy. I felt a bit silly when I held the phone to my ear.

Do you get strange looks when talking on the phone?

What your experience on battery life, is it less than a Galaxy S type-phone?

I personally have had a captivate and have a streak. I love the streak way more for 2 reasons and ONLY 2. Gps and 2.2!

Im a big guy also and it does not feel weird at all now talking on the phone. My roomate got a captivate and I picked it up and looked at it and almost lost it in my hands it was so small! LOL Forget bluetooth, give other people something to talk about when they see it. I get asked all the time is that a phone!? Im like yeah, means I dont have to squint. I really dont see myself changing phones for some time to come. This is #5 since april of 2010 (2 3gs, captivate, iphone 4 and now streak).

Upvote 0
First, I am beyond my 30 days, but even if I wasn't, I don't want anything smaller. I had a X10 and it was just too tiny, if anything, I am hoping someone comes out with something in the 6" size. I figure if they can limit the trim work around the screen, it wouldn't be much larger than a Streak.

I know At&t & Dell really sux when it comes to the Streak, but it works, it does what I want and I am happy with it. I am looking forward to 2.2 for better battery life and the ability to run a few apps that are not supported on 1.6, but otherwise, it works great for what I need.

Even my wife who thinks it is way too big, was impressed while we where sitting on the beach yesterday at Cocoa Beach and asked to see the weather radar. The display is big enough you can actually see websites :D

Upvote 0
First, I am beyond my 30 days, but even if I wasn't, I don't want anything smaller. I had a X10 and it was just too tiny, if anything, I am hoping someone comes out with something in the 6" size. I figure if they can limit the trim work around the screen, it wouldn't be much larger than a Streak.

I know At&t & Dell really sux when it comes to the Streak, but it works, it does what I want and I am happy with it. I am looking forward to 2.2 for better battery life and the ability to run a few apps that are not supported on 1.6, but otherwise, it works great for what I need.

Even my wife who thinks it is way too big, was impressed while we where sitting on the beach yesterday at Cocoa Beach and asked to see the weather radar. The display is big enough you can actually see websites :D

+1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones