• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dell Streak & mytouch 4g trade

carmendiva

Android Expert
Feb 11, 2010
New Yor
Just a question :) And i am going to post it in both the dell & mytouch sections to see what kind of response i can get.

I often come to these sites to get expert opinions on things to pass on to my friends and that is the case here.

My friend has a mytouch 4g(hates it) and he posted a craigslist ad to trade it. Originally he had a G2 but traded it for the mytouch 4g.

Okay, so he finds a Dell Streak and discusses it with the guy. They email back & forth and all that good stuff and then the guy sends him an email asking how much money was going to put with it. So he of course comes and gets me and asks me how much is fair, so i proceeded to email the guy for him.

Why would Micah(my friend) give cash to trade his 4g device for a 3g device(it should be the other way around but micah didn't ask for cash). The guy's response is The 4g doesn't run at actual 4g speeds. Um regardless, what you believe the standard for 4g to be...Either way, data wise wouldn't the Mytouch still be faster

Then he said the phones were the exact same specs. Ummm...If so, then why are you trying to charge him?

The mytouch 4g has more ram, a faster & up to date processor, better data speeds and better camera than both on the Dell

The Dell is 3g only(although since they are both t-mobile customers, the guy would get 4g speeds and Micah would get edge only), Less Ram, and low quality camera. Not to mention a processor that is like 2, 2 1/2 years old.

The only key benefit for the Streak is the big screen.

So was I wrong for intervening and telling My friend that the dude is basically trying to rip him off or does he actually have a valid point in asking for money.
I know more about the mytouch and I really don't know much about the streak but if i am wrong, then by all means let me know i am wrong.

Price is often dictated by demand, not quality :thinking: I would say price would be determined by who wants the trade more.

But, I would have to agree with you, even though I love my Streak, it is a year old in tech speak, the only advantage it has is size.

Because his device is so new, he might be better off selling it on ebay and going to Best Buy/Amazon/Dell to pick up a new Streak.

Reactions: carmendiva
Upvote 0
Well like me, i don't care so much about 3g, 4g or edge.
I only use wi-fi if i really need to do something as that is
what i am paying for

he had a g2 but hated the keyboard

As far as the Nexus S, best buys around here don't sell them in store

He likes the streak for its size

And his mytouch has a lot of..quirks

Upvote 0
he had a g2 but hated the keyboard

I hated the Streak Keyboard with 1.6. I like the numeric pad, but the I was constantly making mistakes and having to re-key stuff.

The 2.2 keyboard has the alternate keyboard for symbols, but also has Swipe which is cool, easier than hunting and pecking.

I too could care less about the 2G, 3G, 4G, 6G, I spend 99% of my time in Wifi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones