Deodexing Question

Last Updated:

1. akronhammer

akronhammer Member This Topic's Starter

So today I'm getting my brand new replacement X because I had a bad one the first time I had an X, and I want to be rooted/deodexed ASAP.

I'm going to follow the directions in the all-in-one guide to rooting and deodexing (http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ing-custom-rom-theme-how-unbrick-droid-x.html) and I need help with a question.

In this guide, after you root you are supposed to install the Blackglass theme with deodex .zip file in bootstrap recovery. But when I had the old X I did not like the blackglass theme at all.

So my question is on the step when I install Blackglass with deodex, could I just install the BacktoStock Froyo Deodex file from 928Droid's website? Then I would be rooted/deodexed with no theme, just stock, right?

928Droid Themes for the Droid X

On this page there is BacktoStock Froyo and BacktoStock Froyo Deodexed .zip files. Am I figuring correctly that right after I run root, I can install the second .zip and be rooted and deodexed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I you're wondering why I'm going through this trouble I just want to be rooted/deodexed so I can go right to the Revolution 2 theme (http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...olution-droid-x-froyo-2-2-r2-9-14-2010-a.html) without having to worry about loading it over the Blackglass theme that I hate.

Advertisement
  2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Root with z4root. Install CW Recovery, boot into recovery and create a "stock" backup.

Deodex with 928Droid, reboot into recovery and install Backtostock deodex, reboot into recovery make a "deodexed" backup.

Use root explorer, go to /sdcard/clockwordmod and rename these files to something that makes sense to you (like deodexed_2.3.15 or stock_2.3.15). Do not change the folder structure or use spaces in the file names. You can use an underscore or hyphen to separate words tho.

Then install any theme you might need.

Save the back to stock for when next Moto update comes out. I suspect that fails if you're deodexed. Also I read that themes from 2.3.15 will not work after the update.

3. akronhammer

akronhammer Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you very much, this was a great and helpful post, exactly the reason I like these forums.

4. colchiro

It's all here if you know where to look.

You should probably consider copying your backups to your computer as well.

gmenfan83 likes this.
  5. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Well-Known Member

man im so glad you said this ....i was wonderig just earlier today if we can copy to the computer and put them back and if the flashed image would not get corrupted some how in the transfer process...thanks though you gave me my answer!:)

6. colchiro

Make sure you copy the whole backup folder to your pc periodically.