• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Design flaw, or intentional feature? (poll)

Flaw or Feature?

• Total voters

ImaYam

Sep 23, 2010
NYC
I noticed something on the Evo, which made me question whether is was a light leakage design flaw, or was it implemented feature.. With the lights off in a dark room, take a look at your Evo. DO you see how the charge port lights up, while the HDMI port doesn't? It seams to be an even glow, as though not a crack in the hardware which lets a little light through, so do my question is, do you think its a design flaw was it intentionally implemented?

I find this very useful, as I plug my evo in in complete darkness very often, and its all gravy that the port lights up when the screen is lit.

EDIT: hardware version 3 for me

I don't consider it a flaw or a feature.

reason for not thinking it's a flaw: The phone does not work improperly if a little bit of light is leaking through the charge and/or hdmi port. It also does not affect the overall aesthetic of the phone. When was the last time someone came up to you in the dark and said, "dude, your phone is leaking light through your ports?"

reason for not thinking it's a feature: the amount of light coming through is so faint that it's unlikely that it was designed to help you find the ports in the dark. Plus, knowing where the port is only helps half way. You still have to figure out the orientation of your cable.

Normally, I turn my screen on, illuminate the end of my micro-usb cable so I know the hooks are on the top, then I just find the charge port right under (menu) and slightly to the right. Never been an issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones