Design flaw, or intentional feature? (poll)

Flaw or Feature?

1. Flaw

42.3%
  2. Feature

19.2%
  3. Dont have/Dont use/Dont care

38.5%
  1. ImaYam

ImaYam Well-Known Member

I noticed something on the Evo, which made me question whether is was a light leakage design flaw, or was it implemented feature.. With the lights off in a dark room, take a look at your Evo. DO you see how the charge port lights up, while the HDMI port doesn't? It seams to be an even glow, as though not a crack in the hardware which lets a little light through, so do my question is, do you think its a design flaw was it intentionally implemented?

I find this very useful, as I plug my evo in in complete darkness very often, and its all gravy that the port lights up when the screen is lit.

EDIT: hardware version 3 for me

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Never noticed it on the wife's Evo and she says she's never noticed it either.
  3. MEGADETH

MEGADETH Member

We have three EVOs in my household two novatecs and one epson. Both of the novatecs emit a slight blue light from both of the bottom ports while the Epson emits a consistent white glow from the charging port and not the HDMI port. Odd.
  4. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Never noticed it. but it's just maybe because I keep mine hooked on a charger while I sleep. :)
  5. jxr94

jxr94 Well-Known Member

I think its a flaw that turned out to be useful, bcuz in the dark it helps me from just cramming my charger in lol
  6. MEGADETH

MEGADETH Member

Maybe it has something to do with the screens used in the device. All three of our evos are HW version 003 the only difference is the screens
  7. Feragola

Feragola New Member

I don't believe that it is a flaw at all, for the same reason they are putting LED's on the end of the car chargers.
  8. keepitunder80

keepitunder80 Member

Flaw - simply because it is to faint to be useful. There is only a dot of light on both the charging port and hdmi out port. Version 0002
  9. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

going to see this later tonight, never noticed it...intrigued i am.
  10. DarKXeoN

DarKXeoN Member

I noticed this as well. Doesn't really matter to me if it was intentional or not, but it does help hooking it up in the dark.
  11. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

I think is probably a flaw.. but its a very useful one. I use this to plug my EVO in when its dark all the time. :)
  12. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

I think it was an intentional flaw to drive us crazy talking about it.
    recneps5 likes this.
  13. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I don't consider it a flaw or a feature.

reason for not thinking it's a flaw: The phone does not work improperly if a little bit of light is leaking through the charge and/or hdmi port. It also does not affect the overall aesthetic of the phone. When was the last time someone came up to you in the dark and said, "dude, your phone is leaking light through your ports?"

reason for not thinking it's a feature: the amount of light coming through is so faint that it's unlikely that it was designed to help you find the ports in the dark. Plus, knowing where the port is only helps half way. You still have to figure out the orientation of your cable.

Normally, I turn my screen on, illuminate the end of my micro-usb cable so I know the hooks are on the top, then I just find the charge port right under (menu) and slightly to the right. Never been an issue.
  14. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Mine no have