• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Desire: All about Rooting - Updated 11 Nov 2011

i like that the revised one looks less intense
its hard to give input into whether or not these changes are sufficient as im not really a user of guides anymore and wouldnt know what it would be like to first come across this guides.
smaller is definitely better as long as it serves the same purpose as the original. in this instance i think it does.

basically i cant see any reason for it not to be the revised version

Reactions: SUroot and Hadron
Upvote 0
It's actually duckys idea.

We could link to bortaks troubleshooting guide on xda. Senseless doing all the work again?

I don't think I have the time to do sb SUroot style one....

Although we could list all the scenarios and collaborate on Google docs or something

thats an excellent idea, its a good guide, then maybe add a useful app guide,
like i suggested for apps like gps test, terminal, titanium, sms backup, apn, backup, and any others people feel are a necessary app.

Upvote 0
OK, I've done the edits.

I left the MD5 verification link in because I figured that was only partially duplicating what we had elsewhere - the Toolbox has the Windows tools, but that link has Android tools and even a Mac solution in it as well. Otherwise it's as in post 8.

Awesome, thank you...

Edit.. looks very neat :)

Upvote 0
Your current hboot is newer, so the ruu won't run.

There are tricks for downgrading. Am on phone so can't easily dig up links, but a forum search for downgrader should bring something up. I expect it needs a goldcard (see the rooting faq, linked from the All Things Root Guide sticky post).

Why do you want to downgrade to something that old?

Upvote 0
GSM is a technical standard. If the phone has a SIM card, it's GSM.

HTC have used the name "Desire" for a number of devices: Desire, Desire HD, Desire Z, Desire S, Desire C, Desire X (just announced), and I've probably missed one or two ;)

Visit GSMarena.com and look at the list of HTC phones (from the sidebar). You should be able to recognise yours from the picture. But you should be able to tell from this description:

The Desire (this forum) has 2 physical buttons on the bottom-left (home and menu), back and search keys on a rocker switch on the bottom-right, and a little round optical trackpad in the middle. No physical slide-out keyboard (that's the Z). Oh, and on the HBOOT screen it will say "Bravo" at the top (Desire S is "Saga").

Upvote 0
ah mine fits your description! is Z then.

Hi Hadrod, I have been trying out many roms and recovery. I think I pretty messed up my desire right now. I could get between gingerbread 2.3 upgrade RUU & [Rom/Kernel][CM7/AOSP][2.3.7]CronMod-bravo/bravoc (Updated 08/11) - xda-developers this CM7.

However, i wish to go back to my 2.2 froyo Asia RUU, I try to follow teppiz, Alpharez methods, and even direct run the official RUU but it seems that my hboot stuck at between 0.93.0001(CM7 first version, 2.3.7 Gingerbread), 1.02.0001(2.3.3 Gingerbread), 6.93.0001(CM7 second version, 2.3.7 Gingerbread) and after flashing alpharez downgrade hboot file i get 6.93.9999

Is there any solution?

Upvote 0
Just check one thing: you say it fits the description, but then say "is Z then". Is that last a typo ("Z" has a physical keyboard, Desire does not)?

Assuming it's a Desire (i.e. Bravo), then is the RUU you are trying to install RUU_Bravo_Froyo_hTC_Asia_WWE_2.13.707.1_Radio_32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2_release_143921_signed.exe? That's the only Froyo Asia I can see at shipped-ROMs (the other 2 HTC Asia's I see there are Eclair). Or have you a later one?

If you've actually flashed the alpharev downgrader have you tried your preferred RUU after that? That one's intended to let you overwrite it, and bypasses customer id (i.e. region/network) checks, so it may be that it'll work now.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is a desire Bravo. Yeap, that is the one I tried. I followed Alpharev steps and installed the RUU too. Both methods doesn't work. I even go all the way to flash the 2.3 upgrade gingerbread rom, hoping I could downgrade from there but it still didn't work. I knew my hboot initially was 0.83, PVT1, the latest radio 5.17.... and S-ON.

Upvote 0
You could have got it from HTCdev.com for all they know, but if they really are only going to accept the HTC Asia version we'll have to try that.

So what happened when you ran teppic's downgrader, and what software/hboot did you have when you tried that?

The reason I'm asking is this: the downgrader won't run the RUU you want, but it will let you flash a 0.93 hboot (so a later Froyo). So you could try running another WWE Froyo RUU (RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.10.405.2_R_Radio_32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2_release_142828_signed.exe is an early Froyo, but I think will work for this). That will I believe leave you with a 0.93 hboot, but I think teppic's downgrader should work on that release (though you'll need a goldcard). And if you can get the downgrader to work you should, according to the thread, be back to hboot 0.83, and that means you ought to be able to run the RUU you want.

A bit convoluted, but the best I can come up with. I should add that I've never used the downgrader or made a goldcard myself, so this is all guesswork based on other people's experiences.

Upvote 0
Haven't much time online today, so this will be brief.

I have had one idea that might work. It's very much at your own risk.

There is a way of extracting a PB99IMG.zip from an RUU - one thread in the ATR Guide sticky has this in the title, and the usb unbrick guide refers to it too. Once you have one of those, you can unzip it and it should contain a number of image files (boot, hboot, radio, recovery, system). These are what the ruu installs.

Question is, if you are S-Off (i.e. have a Alpharev or Revolutionary hboot) is there anything stopping you from fastboot flashing these images directly?

You would want Alpharev stock hboot, or maybe the downgrader (don't know what partitions that has - I'd have made it stock myself, but don't know for sure). The stock rom in the ruu won't fit in other hboots.

We use fastboot for updating radio or recovery, so know that's fine (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img for example). We don't use it for rom installation as ROMs aren't distributed as images, but I can't see why it wouldn't work there (fastboot flash system system.img), and boot can be updated that way. And we do this to update hboot. So while the ruu won't let you downgrade hboot, can you just fastboot flash the image? If the hboot itself or the fastboot command doesn't impose the version check it should work.

This is untried territory as far as I'm concerned, and a problem flashing radio or hboot is the end of the phone. So while I think this might work in principle, and as long as the images are intact should be safe, I'm not advocating it. It would be your call.

If you try this, leave hboot to last - when you flash that you will lose the ability to fastboot flash anything else! I would suggest booting the phone before that last step to check it works - as long as you are S-Off we can fix problems with ROM or recovery, but once you flash hboot the only option left if it isn't working is an RUU.

Anyway, not one to rush into, but if the trade in is worth enough to you and you can't run the ruu any other way this might work. It may let you update the ROM anyway!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones