Desire and Internet Issues

Last Updated:

1. drbell

drbell Member This Topic's Starter

Had my Desire almost a week now and love it love it love it. I've upgraded from an HTC HD2 and the most disappointing thing about the Desire is that it isn't as well built as the HD2. The plastic back cover creaks a lot and isn't as sturdy a fit as the metal back cover on the HD2. Apart from that I'm very impressed with the Android OS. However......

I've been using the wi fi internet well until a couple of days ago. The handset tells me I'm connected to my wi fi router but I cannot load ANY web pages at all. On 3G, web pages download without problem. As soon as I turn on my wi fi connection - the handset connects me (I've two widgets that tell me and the wi fi connected pic appears in the notification bar) but will not download web pages. I get messages telling me the page isn't available, may have moved etc etc.

Do i need to call: HTC, Belkin (my router manuf), or Talk Talk, my ISP? ....or do I have a duff handset?

PLEASE HELP. I LOVE MY PHONE AND WANT IT TO WORK WELL.......

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Is the password correct? Do you have mac filtering on the router? Do you need to put the router in pairing mode when connected for the 1st time?

3. GStadium

GStadium Active Member

It sounds like a security issue between your phone and your wireless router. If you have any security on the router you'll need to get the password right.

You may also need to add the phone's "Mac address" (unique identifier) to a list of allowed devices on your router. To see this, go to Settings, then "About Phone", then "Hardware information" and look at the Wi-Fi MAC address.

4. drbell

drbell Member This Topic's Starter

Well, it's three days later and it's fixed. NO IDEA how. Called O2 - no help. Called HTC - no help. Called Talk Talk (ISP) - no help. O2 even tried their new Smartphone department - no help.

I have done nothing - to my knowledge - to this phone. The internet is still connected, settings still the same, but for whatever reason, it's decided to work again. Thank you.