• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire and SD card problems....

muzland

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
Pretty sure I am not the only one having these problems.

Had the phone around 3 months now and it is an excellent little phone apart from a few issues (most of which resolved when we get 2.2).

I have had the following SD card problem at least a dozen times. When it happens it refuses to save any data to the card saying that there are insufficient permissions. Re-booting the phone solves it (annoying but at least there is a work-around). I have a 4Gb Sandisk card that was supplied with the phone.

I have now had a much more serious SD card issue. The phone is now telling me that the card is blank or has an unsupported file system.

Re-booting does not solve this issue. I have tried to read the card in my PC but it is no longer recognised. I am waiting for a call back from Virgin tech support to probably give me the advice to format the card and lose all my data (some backed up, but some not).

Has anybody else had this problem and is there a solution?
Does 2.2 help with these SD card issues?

Cheers
Muz

You say that the card isn't recognised by your PC, have you tried a different sd card reader? have you run a check disk on the card? have you tried any recover software on the card?

If the card is seen by windows but not readable the try the software on the link below to recover your data to your PC, if you recover the data then use the software in the second link to wipe and format the sd card, after the card is formatted and inserted into the phone you will get the error message that you stated in your first post, just format the card using your phone then transfer you data back to the card.

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

SD Memory Card Formatting Software | SD Memory Card | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I've had quite a few problems with my sd card..I've had to format it several times and lost loads of photos.

I got given a free 8gb with my G1 which I use with my desire...I haven't to format for a while after having used this.. SD Formatter 2.0 for SD/SDHC - SD Association (the desire won't recognise the card after and requires a 2 second formatting on the device but is good for a complete start fresh).

If your card won't read in the sd card reader on your pc that could be because it's an SDHC card (hi-capacity) versus a standard sd card reader :(
Also if you're looking to recover stuff then I used EASEUS recovery which did a pretty good job with files I hadn't seen for months.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses guys. They are much appreciated.

My PC card reader does support SDHC but when inserted it simply does nothing rather than appearing as a drive. I have read many other cards.

I had previously re-formatted the card using the official SD formatter tool mentioned to get rid of the 1st issue (helped but did not cure, just happened less often).

I thought Sandisk was a reputable brand and the card was supplied with the phone direct from Virgin. Come to think of it I have had a few bad experiences with Sandisk flash even when shop bought from reputable retailers.

I am going to get virgin to send me a new card as this one is kapput.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses guys. They are much appreciated.

My PC card reader does support SDHC but when inserted it simply does nothing rather than appearing as a drive. I have read many other cards.

I had previously re-formatted the card using the official SD formatter tool mentioned to get rid of the 1st issue (helped but did not cure, just happened less often).

I thought Sandisk was a reputable brand and the card was supplied with the phone direct from Virgin. Come to think of it I have had a few bad experiences with Sandisk flash even when shop bought from reputable retailers.

I am going to get virgin to send me a new card as this one is kapput.

I would seriously recommend you just buy your own. Although SanDisk are all I ever go for, the ones with the phones have loads of problems. You may get a replacement, but it will be the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones