Desire Backup/RestoreSupport

1. jarul

jarul Member

Does anyone if i can backup my desire and restore to a different desire?

Because I did a faulty exchange on my one, and there was no way i could find to restore, so i ended up manually putting all my apps(which i know cant be backup) and set everything else the way i like it.
    I just does understand why there couldnt be a simpler way. nokias, samsung, even iphone can do it, why not htc.

Now it seems i might have to do another exchange, because the volume button seems loose, i cant remember my old one being like that.

Advertisement
  2. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about this too, having just done a hard reset and subsequently spent hours installing apps and setting everything up again. The only backup feature on the phone I can find is the automated backup of user settings to the SD card, which is then locked to the phone.

Are there good free apps that allow you to make a full backup of all phone contents?
  3. jarul

jarul Member

I did some research about this last night and it seems like there isn't a way to backup everything and transfer to a new phone. Only way to do that is to root the phone and then there are apps that will make a back copy. I ain't exactly keen on the idea of rooting.
    The only other backup apps on the market is for sms, maybe others but didnt check
  4. stewcp

stewcp Member

My Backup Pro backs up all apps, sms, email, settings etc to your SD card... how good of a backup it is I don't know.. but surely its gonna be a great help in these situations!?
  5. jarul

jarul Member

thanks, i'll look into that, since they have a trial and if it works i might have to buy it. cos htc aint gonna give me a solution.
  6. mr-mixalot

mr-mixalot Active Member

I use Backup Pro but you can alsp back up using Astro File Manager
  7. borneo

borneo New Member

Hi All,

I have 2 problems with my Desire.

First, my Calender was not working as expected. I wanted to create an event that happens every Thursday but only for 2 months. So, I first created a repeated event for every Thursday. Then I tried to delete the event from a date that I no longer require. I get only one option which is to delete all events. I remembered there used to be options that allows deletion of one occurrence or future occurrences. I checked the Desire user guide and it mentioned the deletion of one/future occurrences too. Not sure what happened there???

I called Orange to ask about this and they sent me some settings to update my phone. Done that. But it didnt solve my problem. So, I thought I get an update from Htc via my phone. Done that but it still didnt solve my problem.

Here comes my second problem...
    So, I did the most stupid thing by doing factory resetting thinking that the Desire's software will be revert back to the day the phone came out of the factory (i.e. with the old version of the Desire software). I was so wrong. It just wiped all my data.

Before doing the factory reset, I also remembered there was a Privacy option in the Settings menu that will allow me to back up to my SD. However, I cannot see the Privacy option. I only have SD & Phone storage option without any ability to backup to SD.

Anyone has any idea as to what happen to the option that allows manual backup to SD please?

I am now hoping that I might be able to recover what's left in my SD but I dont know how....

I tried installing software that can restore from SD - like Handy Backup for android. When I attempted to do restore from the SD, it gives an an error saying backup might be missing.

In the Manage Application option in my phone under "on SD card" tab, there's nothing in there. Does this mean there is absolutely nothing?

I had a couple games installed in the SD card before I did the factory reset...Not sure if the factory reset actually wipe them too??

Please can anyone advise?

Many thanks.
  8. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Nandroid back up will take a snapshot of your phone and store it in a neat little file. You'll need root! The forum has a All Things Root section. Read all about it.
  9. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

He posted his question at the beginning of last May.
  10. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

I just got up. lol.
  11. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

12. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Your contacts should get backed up by google automatically and imo the best way to back up your apps (just the list mind you) is with appbrain
    I would hazard a guess that those files are still on your card, if you re-install those games it should see your game data. Factory reset should leave your sd card alone. Can always check to see if there is something still on it by using astro or plugging into a computer as disk drive....

btw; moving to support section