• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire battery consumption

Cheers Arthur, (dumb question) did you download that from the 'apps store'? can't check as it's being charged!! FFS. All I want to do is set my email (hotmail) so I set it to update (done) manually then anything should be on request. What other apps can I "on demand" to help improve this, sorry for the dumb questions but at the moment fairly unhappy with it. Help much appreciated folks.

If I were to do a factory reset (not much on it yet) could someone offer me some advice on the best way to set it up?

Thanks!

Few other tips.

In Accounts and Sync on settings menu, disable calendar and contacts sync for google mail ( all if you dont use gmail ). Those two are always polling and checking and its not exactly something that needs updating constantly.

You can setup hotmail in the HTC Mail app that it comes with and disable auto updating, so you can do it manually. All you need are the pop3 settings for hotmail which are free to use now.

Settings are here Hotmail Free POP3 and SMTP Access and Server Configuration Settings My Digital Life

All of the apps I use are from the market.

You can use the phone while its charging btw.

Upvote 0
Just disable auto sync in accounts & sync in settings, saves loads of battery as you only request data for the programs you run at that point in time. So no auto checking.

Set your screen to auto brightness.

Turn off GPRS.

Add mobile network widget to home screen and disable 3G while youre sleeping.

Upvote 0
If you disable auto-sync, does the weather update still works?

Just disable auto sync in accounts & sync in settings, saves loads of battery as you only request data for the programs you run at that point in time. So no auto checking.

Set your screen to auto brightness.

Turn off GPRS.

Add mobile network widget to home screen and disable 3G while youre sleeping.

Reactions: stasia1209
Upvote 0
Issue:
1ghz processor and a relatively modest battery of only 1400mH. i think the battery was kept modest due to the need("desire") to keep the phone really slim at 11mm.

Suggestion:
try turning the screen brightness down completely as well, or the middle setting. There is an android widget which comes with the handset called power control (and this has 5 buttons on it). The button on the right is the screen brightness control button. The screen does sap a lot of power out of the battery.
Also change the settings on some less important widgets so that they only refresh once every hour/few hours.

Lastly, if you turn the screen time out to 15 or 30 seconds, you will find that this should extend battery life.

The other option (which i used when i had my hero) was to buy spare batteries! this i found to be the best option as i could use the handset as much as i wanted and always knew I had backup power.

Your message:
All new Desire owners. Has anyone else noticed the battery charge does not seem to last well? I have the wifi turned off and only enable it when required but just general usage seems to sap the power quite quickly. At the moment I'm not sure a full charge would even last a day!!! Are there any smart apps out there to help manage this? Do widgets relly use that much power? The Android OS itself seems to use an alarming amount of power as does everything else!!! Has anyone else encountered this yet?

Cheers.

Upvote 0
can any HTC Hero users compare the Desires battery life with the Hero?

Thanks

I have only had my desire for a couple of days. I have had a hero for around 9 months.
Re - hero - i get a day out of moderate use, and less than a day with heavy use.

Re Desire - too early to tell. What I have been doing is when i first charged it (made sure i charged it for at least 3 hours) and then since that time, I have been ensuring I completely drain the battery before recharging, this will improve the battery life after a few charges.
I have turned screen brightness down completely while indoors and I am hoping to get at least a day out of the battery. will let u know progress

General tips:

Data use and inefficient widgets are the main reasons why battery life gets drained quickly. If you turn off autosync for non vital widgets, your battery life will improve dramatically.

Most useful tip though - reduce screen brightness if you use the handset a lot, and you will find the battery life increasing significantly.

close apps that you do not need running in the background. i really like task panel lite, i move the apps i never want killed (eg touch flo) to an ignore list and there is an autokill widget that you can put on your screen that kills unnecessary background apps.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
Hey guys, getting my Desire in a few days. Real excited. Since we're on the topic of battery consumption, what do you recommend I should do?

Should I leave it to charge the battery before use? Or is it usable out of the box?

I charged mine for 13 hours first time straight from box. No turning on. Hero used right away and battery was crap.

Upvote 0
Had mine a few days now and with normal use (few calls, checking emails, facebook etc, using fring and the internet) I'm currently at 26% charge after 26 hours of being continuously on. Fairly impressed so far for such a power hungry type phone, but I have noticed there is already a 3rd party battery available that is 1600mah which should help a lot.

Upvote 0
You recently wrote us regarding your phone battery and back cover. We have no release date a more powerful battery and back case for HTC Desire at the moment. Please keep an eye on our website over the next 30 days for any new accessories in buy section.

Also please try this action to save baterry life in your device.

1. For the purpose to optimize the battery use, you may turn off the none-use application or software.

2. Here we list below function or application to lower power consumption

(1) WiFi - This feature consumes power so if you are not using it you can easily switch it off (and turn it on when you want)

(2) GPS takes up a lot of power - if you use GPS we suggest keep the device on charge (car charger and cradle available from HTC accessory store) and close the application when you have finished

(3) Data connection - data connection takes up a lot of power so if you are not using it you can easily switch it off

(4) Turn off BT connection if not in use Bluetooth - This feature consumes power so if you are not using it you can easily switch it off (and turn it on when you want)

(5) Push mail - scheduling the certain time for incoming Push mail

(6) Adjust backlight setting to auto detect (light sensor could adjust the brightness of the LCD)

(7) In standby mode, WCDMA uses least power than GSM mode, select network type to Auto and Device will auto detect.

(8) GSM uses less power than WCDMA mode in talk mode, select network type to Auto and Device will auto detect.

(9) Back running application takes up a lot of power so if you are not using it you can easily switch it off.

Hope this information answers your question.

If you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, please contact with our Call Center at: +44 8458900079
You can also go to: HTC, select your country and then click on the Support tab.

Best regards,

Emine E.C
Europe customer support team
HTC Corp. Global Service Division

this is reply i got from email i sent hoping for larger battery lol

Upvote 0
MobileFun.co.uk do a 1600mah battery, its not an official one but should work fine.

Hi all,

First post so be gentle, got my desire on Saturday morning so still really eary doors to judge what the battery will be like long term but i have to admit it doesn't look to good :(.
Took mine off charge this morning 9.30 am and looked at it 11.00 and it had dropped 15% :eek: which in my opinion is really bad, sent two and recieved one text and it dropped another 5%, bear in mind that is using all the tips and trick i could find to save battery life. i'm really hoping it settles down because it's a beast of a phone. But i want a phone that will last 24 hrs with even a little use. Coming from an E71 i think i've been spoiled by battery life.

Just on your point Jason and it's not a dig mate but i've looked at the extended batteries already and in all honesty why should we have to buy additional batteries just to get it through the day? surely HTC sould be able to produce a phone with a battery that will last 24 hrs with decent use without re-charging or send out the handset with two in the first place. It is also supposed to have a standby time of over 350 hrs but there is no way on earth that could be done we all know that so why do they say that nonsense.

As i say hope it settles down because the potential of the phone is huge

Upvote 0
Hi all,

First post so be gentle, got my desire on Saturday morning so still really eary doors to judge what the battery will be like long term but i have to admit it doesn't look to good :(.
Took mine off charge this morning 9.30 am and looked at it 11.00 and it had dropped 15% :eek: which in my opinion is really bad, sent two and recieved one text and it dropped another 5%, bear in mind that is using all the tips and trick i could find to save battery life. i'm really hoping it settles down because it's a beast of a phone. But i want a phone that will last 24 hrs with even a little use. Coming from an E71 i think i've been spoiled by battery life.

Just on your point Jason and it's not a dig mate but i've looked at the extended batteries already and in all honesty why should we have to buy additional batteries just to get it through the day? surely HTC sould be able to produce a phone with a battery that will last 24 hrs with decent use without re-charging or send out the handset with two in the first place. It is also supposed to have a standby time of over 350 hrs but there is no way on earth that could be done we all know that so why do they say that nonsense.

As i say hope it settles down because the potential of the phone is huge

It will, first couple of days was horrendous for me.

Upvote 0
A few days in, and the battery is lasting noticeably longer, YAY. :)

Charged it and used it last night, kept it on all night and it was 80% this morning, it's now 17.30 at the end of my work day, and I've had push mail on all day, had a few short phone calls and surfed for half an hour, and it's at 32%. Quite acceptable.

Upvote 0
Bazza, lekky is right, after a few days it does improve. I've had mine about 1 week now and I'm getting over 24hrs out of it now, and I'm guessing that will keep improving over the next few days. One thing I find that helps is charging it fully and then using it until it is completely flat without topping it up, I did this with my last phone and it went from about 24hrs use to start with up to about 3 -4 days.

There is a severe need to improve battery technology though, it's time they made another breakthrough to get the capacities up.

Here is the link to the 1600mah battery on mobilefun.

Upvote 0
FYI, I charged mine overnight and it has now been running just over 8 hours and has 80% charge left. I've made 2 or 3 calls and have push email and friends stream running.

Cheers for that mate

I'm hoping it does improve or it's a complete waste of a phone, i'm an average user but mostly texts, music, checking the footy scores and a few calls. i just want to be able to go out for the day without worrying about how much juice it has left.

I fully charged mine earlier again! made one 1 min phone call and immediately lost 5%, i just find it all a bit mental and unnecessary, it could easily have been sorted in the develpement stage! if they can make a 1600mah one the same size why was it not looked at by HTC in the first place! They knew it was going to be power hungry before they started and they knew the nexus one had battery issues. so they go and use the same battery!!!! doesn't make sense.

It's just sheer lazy research and developement but it's not just HTC

sorry for the rant but mobile companies take the mick and there really is no need for it

Upvote 0
FYI,

I found that calibrating the battery helped loads. Use it normally for a few days, charging when necessary. Then just let the charge drop all the way to 0, wait for the phone to die then put it on charge overnight without turning it on. Switch it on in the morning and you should see a difference!

Hope it helps! Can't wait for an extended battery, hopefully HTC will release an official one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones