Desire: Black screen during calls and cracked screen

Last Updated:

1. NickR

NickR New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

It says "dont be shy - we're a friendly bunch" so I thought I would give it a try.

I've read many threads but can't find one that sums up my problem or offers a fix.

I bought a Desire about 2 or 3 months ago in Moscow (where I live) and dropped it whilst back in UK for a visit last week.

The screen cracked - covering the top left and most of the bottom left side.

The screen works to touch - I've not noticed anything different about it so far, except that when I press the "PHONE" button to make a call, the screen goes completely black and I can't do anything. If the other end doesn't pick up, I can't stop the call. If it goes to voicemail and I don't want to leave a message, I can't stop the call. I have to either wait until the "beeeep" at the end of the message or remove the battery!

I can't see any incoming calls whilst I'm making a call, can't access sms's etc or turn on the mic as the screen is completely blank.

I think you get the picture.

I haven't got insurance or anything similar, so it's either a choice of pay to be fixed (there's an official HTC shop which would charge about

Advertisement
  2. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

3. NickR

NickR New Member This Topic's Starter

I have checked the forums for hours, but there's no mention of the screen going blank during calls after being dropped.

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Many newer Android phones have proximity sensors that cause the screen to blank out as it is drawn close to your face. This may be what is causing your phones screen to go dark.

In terms of replacing the screen it's possible that all that was damaged in the fall was the screen and replacing the screen alone should be sufficient. That said the only real way for them to find out will be to open up the case and look.

Will you have this problem again? That's always a risk! The larger the screen the more surface area that's at risk when the phone is dropped. You also mentioned possibly replacing the Desire with an iPhone 4, Keep in mind that the front and back of the iPhone are covered in glass. So this phone would potentially have double the surface area at risk in a fall.

5. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to the Android Forums community! Glad you signed up! Please feel free to join the conversations! If you need any help getting around, please PM me and I'll try to help! :D

6. Riaa

Riaa New Member

Hi NickR,

Digging up an old thread..

I have the same issue now with my HTC desire - cracked screen which goes blank when I make a call and I need to take out the battery to hang up!

Just wondering if replacing the screen completely fixed the problem?

Thanks
    Riaa

7. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!