Desire camera quality?

Last Updated:

1. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm quite pleased with the camera as long as you have good light - good amount of detail and sharpness for a camera phone. But I do find that the images are often too dark and lacking in saturation, while being too contrasty.

Thankfully, there is plenty of info in the camera image files that can be pulled out. There are some sample comparisons on DPNow.com here if you are interested:

HTC Desire smartphone camera still photo quality? - DPNow.com Discussion Forum

Ian

Advertisement
  2. ronilse

ronilse Member

I've tested to set white balance from auto to something else(like daylight, etc) & find image to not have that "pink" overlay as it looks like to me other then that don't actually know what to expect from a phone camera ;)

Regards
    Roy

3. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member

Hi Ian
    Im sure ive seen you somewhere else ! The Olympus UK E-System Forum by any chance ;)

I think, for a camera phone the 'out of camera' shot on DPNow is pretty good as far as snap shots from a camera phone go all be it a tad dark ! Id be happy with those results when I get my desire in 3 weeks.

The Lightroom adjusted shots are indeed much better, number 3 I think is showing the most natural colours.

Looking at your test shot the desire looks more than capable for the fun/quick snaps that I will take with it. For anything else I'll stick with the E510 :D

4. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

I saw these pictures on another forum today and was shocked at the difference in quality of the Desire's pictures when taken with the back cover on and off:

On

[​IMG]

Off

[​IMG]

On

[​IMG]

Off

[​IMG]

5. davedring

davedring New Member

when taking photos with a reasonably bright background. by no means bright. i get very dark pictures. took some pics of my family this weekend. and could hardly see them. it was so dark a picture. but it wasnt a sunny day. any one any ideas on how to change this. but i dont want to have to change settings everytime on taking pics.

6. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Sample image would help. From what I can get from your post the camera is exposing for the background not your family, which would be down to the metering mode. I have no idea if it can be changed to spot metering. But in that event what you'd have is a family on top of a blown out background. The best move is to stick your family infront of something darker, or turn them so they face the sun.

What you see as bright and dark does not match what the camera does. It, and all cameras, have a limited 'Dynamic range', which means there can only be a certain difference between the brightest and darkest object in a scene before you start losing detail. The human eye adapts very well to differing lighting conditions. Cameras, less so.