Desire charging question.

Last Updated:

1. PygmyArr

PygmyArr Member This Topic's Starter

can i use my ipod charger plug, with one of my many spare usb-mini usb cables i hae for many gadgets (ie cameras/camcorders), to charge my desire?

or is the ipod plug rated to push through a different numbers of amps/volts/currants/electrons/whatevers to my desire, ultimately killing it?

this'll save me and probably a lot of other folk a few quids in buying spare chargers etc, as i'm sure we've all got a spare mini-usb cable and an ipod lying around.

fyi i am talking about this part, or one of these for car charging.

Advertisement
  2. mattbeef

mattbeef Member

I use my Apple power adapter to charge my desire all the time and works a treat so wouldnt worry too much tbh

3. Sybex

Sybex Active Member

I use an Apple ipod charger as a spare charger for my Desire with no problem...

4. kaushal101

kaushal101 Well-Known Member

I tried this during a 3 hr trip. I was using my ipod car charger with a micro USB cable that came with the Desire.

I was using the Desire for navigation during the trip. So, GPS was turned on and the screen was on as well.

What I observed was, even though the phone was charging (using the car charger), the battery was actually loosing the life.

Meaning, GPS and screen was consuming battery faster than the car charger was able to charge it.

I am trying to understand if this was because of not using proper car charger, or if something is wrong with my battery, or if that's how Desire battery behaves in which case it doesn't make it suitable for a Tomtom replacement.

5. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

I have a

6. PygmyArr

PygmyArr Member This Topic's Starter

This is a known issue with the desire. It's because the desire doesnt trickle charge, only charges till full then stops drawing power from the charger, until its unplugged/re plugged in.

My idea isn't to use it as nav, but for music on the go and charging at work.