• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help desire died

Hello
a bit new to the forum. but thanks for what you guys are doing here, lots of interesting reading!

last weekend my htc desire keeled over. it had been heating up a bit lately, esp in the car using google navigation and the battery seemed to be getting worse and worse, i even carried a spare one to help me through the day. It had been stable for about 5 months since it was last repaired (due to random crash/restarts)(another long story)

it is definately outside of its 24 month warranty now and i have been due an upgrade since april.

when it first shut down, it did try and restart, but went down again. if you plug in the charger after pulling battery, the charge light works normally, but if you press the power button the charge light will go out and then nothing.
it's very disappointing, as there was several things notes e.t.c not backed up.

any advice for where to send it?
obviously it is still a good phone, and maybe i can use it for experimenting with.
re. upgrade, after a lot of agonising, i have decided to try the htc one-x, which i picked up tonight. but for the past week or so was using my trustee N95, what a great phone!! i will be starting a new job next week, so want to get familiar with the new layout. i got an upgrade for the other half too, opting for the one-s, (she had a wildfire before) which will arrive in a couple of days. i am with T-Mobile (UK) and retentions gave me a fair deal.

thanks in advance

Phil

If the problem is due to overheating you might be able to get it booted if you cool it first, either just by taking the battery out for a while or perhaps by sitting it on an ice pack (with a tea towel between phone and ice pack - don't want condensation on the phone). That might give you a chance to back up the stuff you weren't able to.

If the problem is motherboard heating then the only fix will be a replacement board.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones