• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire Firmware OTA Update

I basically did the same thing that I did when I debranded my phone.

You need a goldcard (Lekky has a guide on his website) then I installed the
RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4. 06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.exe from RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4. 06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.ex - xda-developers

I said it was from Modaco earlier which was my mistake.

I suspect if your phone is already a generic one then you can just download the zip from that thread and follow;

The way I did it completely wipes everything.

Mine's debranded. Do i use zip or exe?

Upvote 0
Yes, go ahead. It's the same firmware, just in a different package. The worst that could happen will be that you end up with the same wi-fi issue. But you won't :) Probably

Over on XDA, there are now four people reporting wi-fi issues and all of them debranded their Desires before updating.

So it's starting to look like maybe that's the issue.

Reactions: lambada
Upvote 0
Could people experiencing the wireless problem tell us whether they had flashed to a generic rom before updating? (ie, did you debrand your phone at any time before you applied the update?)

edit: my thoughts exactly, weirdNumber. I reckon the user-debranded desires are the issue...

Yes i had debranded mine from a HTC rom. Now ive had to go back to that rom and have lost everything off my handset.

Upvote 0
this update breaks wifi. many users now reporting after updates that wifi cannot be started, myself included. My advice is dont do this update.

Happened to me - T-Mobile Desire, unbranded with generic firmware. Did this update today (was hoping it was 2.2 early!) and it killed my WiFi. "Unable to start WiFi" is all it says.

Have re-flashed back down to previous one.

Upvote 0
Those like me who lost Wi-FI after the update. What type of Desires do you have?

Mine was a T-Mobile handset that I debranded and updated to 1.15.405.4 before running this update.

Same here - unbranded T-Mobile with the same version number before updating. That looks like the common theme with the WiFi issue. Bugger :-(

Upvote 0
Hmm - I haven't got the update yet, but something from my Nokia days reminds me...

Make sure your phone is in a 'normal' mode - so that means volume on, wifi, mobile data and normal mobile signal on when you apply a firmware update.

I remember Nokia phones losing the ability to connect through WiFI, or even worse, actually *ring* if you had your phone on wi fi off or silent mode following an update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones