Desire glass specs = proprietary in nature

Last Updated:

1. BriEE

BriEE Member This Topic's Starter

I sent HTC an email to see if I really need a screen protector, they gave me this in return... lol no idea what to get from this:

I understand how important it is for you to receive as much information about your device as possible. Unfortunately, the information you are requesting is proprietary in nature and we are not at liberty to divulge this information. I do apologize for any inconvenience and frustration this has caused you.

Whether the screen is made out of Gorilla Glass or not it is always a good idea to protect your device. You can find screen protectors online at places like eBay, Amazon, or even on your carriers website. The screen protectors are generally not very expensive and are quite useful.

Advertisement
  2. ukzen

ukzen Well-Known Member

3. zafonic

zafonic Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that the Desire doesn't have a gorilla glass seen.

4. BriEE

I really don't like those screen protectors though, they seem to get scratched easily and leave finger prints. Not to mention they don't slide as well.

Unless I'm using the crappy ones from Pacific Mall or any of the shopping malls?

5. Ten10

Ten10 Well-Known Member

Well I was watching a video a while back of how the nexus one was made. No mention of gorilla glass there. And since the sum of their parts are about the same I'd say no it isn't, but the screen is quite resilient

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Not sure what type of glass is used, but the digitiser that sits over the amoled screen is glass.

However, from my knowledge of digitisers (which admittedly isnt much) it must also have a thin plastic coating over it, to digitise the heat of your finger into input. I can't see glass conducting the small amount of heat our fingers let off quick enough to make it as sensitive as it is.

7. BriEE

I have the SCLD screen though.

8. SUroot

The screen is the screen. What you touch is the digitiser. It's 2 separate parts, not even physically connected

9. JimmiG

JimmiG Active Member

When I tap the screen with my fingernail, it feels and sounds like cheap plastic. It also doesn't feel cool to the touch the way glass would.

I don't see a reason why they would *not* tell us what kind of materials are used, unless they know it would do more harm than good. In that case, it's better to let people think it uses some super-strong type of glass than to reveal that it does not.

10. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

It's glass, people. If you treat it well, it won't get a mark on it for as long as you have the device. If you treat it badly, you'll scratch it. Hence, if you're a careful person, it's fine as is. If you don't treat your phone as well as you perhaps should, buy a screen protector and be happy that your phone will *Probably* last the two years of your contract scratch free. :p

11. barne1980

barne1980 Member

The the outer screen is made of cheap plastic, i had my phone in a pouch which was in my jeans pocket with nothing else and i still managed to scratch my screen while leaning over something, i would say get a protector.

12. SUroot

There is no "outer screen". There is the actual screen which you cannot touch as it is inside the device.

Then on top of that is the digitiser which consists of glass and a thin membrane on top of that.

13. ukzen

ukzen Well-Known Member

The screen is capacitive ,which means you distort an electro static field to operate ,no capacitive screens sense heat from fingertips ,screen is glass ,on mine at least,cold to the touch ,no plastic coating on the outside.Have you not seen the videos of people using keys and knives on the screen and no scratches?,any external coating would be shredded.

14. ukzen

ukzen Well-Known Member

The build up is -from the outside Glass,then x,y capacitive array,then rear hardcoat polyester film to protect array.

15. BriEE

lol, come on people, even HTC said it was glass, where do some people get their info...

anyways, I ordered 10 of those protector films for $3 so it'll last me a while hopefully lol. if it sucks I'll just throw them away and buy a better one.

16. Ten10

Ten10 Well-Known Member

17. Vicdude

Vicdude Well-Known Member

That's that then :D