Desire has slowed down since installing updateSupport

Last Updated:

1. mashleigh

mashleigh New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

I got my HTC Desire back in July and couldn't have been happier with it, it was quick, responded well and was problem free. However, about a week ago my phone asked me to download a new system update and since this has been installed the phone has slowed down. When I go to open messages it says 'please wait' for up to 10 seconds before displaying the message and this used to be instantaneous. A few applications (mostly games) have also slowed down and are juddery. I've checked the memory but I have loads of space left and I also tried uninstalling any applications that I installed around the same time. It's not the end of the world it's just frustrating that it used to be so quick and now it's not.

Has anyone else had the same problem, or can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Mashleigh xx

Advertisement
  2. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

any wierd apps or task killers installed recently that you can remember
    it might be worth you doing a factory reset and reinstalling your apps
    its a pain but that behaviour sounds odd

3. mashleigh

I've got advanced task killer but I've had that since the day I got the phone. If I do factory reset will it delete all my phone numbers etc?

4. Rastaman-FB

are your number saved in google contacts or something else?
    if they are with google contacts just make sure sync is enabled and do a sync (settings>accounts and sync> google)
    to make sure they have synced go to mail.google.com on a pc and sign in, check your contacts

if they are there then when you wipe it will ask you to add a google account to the phone when it comes back and will pull all your contacts back down.

things that are lost are things like apps and data for the apps
    so if you are bothered about going through the entirety of angry birds again then im afraid that will happen :p

dont use task killers/managers
    even if youve been using this for a long time, they off no purpose other than to reduce battery life by monitoring process and tasks constantly

5. mashleigh

The contacts were just saved to the phone, but I've now exported them to the SD card so if I do factory reset now it shouldn't wipe them from there should it?

I hadn't even considered the pain of losing angry birds!! That will waste a few more hours of my life getting back to where I currently am.

You say don't use a task killer, why is this? Don't the applications then just run constantly in the background?

Thanks for all your help

6. Rastaman-FB

senses Dan coming in huge with a link as to why.

basically its paranoia, yes they sit in memory but they are not being used and sit in userspace untill you require them.
    do you shut down all unrequired services running in windows?
    the linux kernal is very good at handling its applications and processes on its own. just because you see it doesnt mean its a problem

7. mashleigh

I see! I guess I just presumed that the apps would use more battery life if they were 'running' in the background than if I used a task killer to kill them off?!

8. Rastaman-FB

you should move your contacts to google contacts tbh (if you can, cant remember as im now using a custom rom)
    its handy being able to sign in and contacts are there within 2 mins.
    great if you need to wipe or change roms

and no, they are not "running" in most cases they are "idle"

9. DC E1G

DC E1G Well-Known Member

*waits for Dan to come in with a huge thread link*

In the meantime, here's another knock against task killers.

Applications sitting idle in memory don't use any battery life, only apps using CPU power do. But, Android, unlike Windows, does not mind having things in memory, and when you kill all running apps with a task killer you clear the memory, to which Android responds by reloading apps into memory, which does use the CPU, and drains battery.