• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire HD or the Nexus S

you want the usb debugging mode turned ON, not off. it somehow stops the init process completely. There was a section about it on this forum and on the xda developers website. This init process was causing huge lag and when i checked the processes with OSmonitor init was using 80-100% of cpu hence draining the battery as well. That was with usb off. When usb was turned on, the init process went to 0% and everything improved :) Give it a go mate

Upvote 0
Also the music quality on the DHD through the headphones is the best ive heard on any phone. It is truly amazing especially on the SRS setting.

Is there really such a difference?
Quality of Media playing is indeed a factor.

On the other hand, the Nexus S has the Super AMOLED screen, that the DHD does not have....

decisions, decisions....

Upvote 0
Is there really such a difference?
Quality of Media playing is indeed a factor.

On the other hand, the Nexus S has the Super AMOLED screen, that the DHD does not have....

decisions, decisions....

Yep, I've downloaded some songs through an app I got in the Market :p, and the sound quality through the headphones/earphones is soo damn good, soo much better than my iPhone 4.

I listen to bands like Metallica, Guns N Roses, Disturbed, none of this chart/chav crap and the bass and other instruments are soo much audible than any iPod setting on the iPhone.

I use Creative Aurvana earphones, RRP around

Upvote 0
you want the usb debugging mode turned ON, not off. it somehow stops the init process completely. There was a section about it on this forum and on the xda developers website. This init process was causing huge lag and when i checked the processes with OSmonitor init was using 80-100% of cpu hence draining the battery as well. That was with usb off. When usb was turned on, the init process went to 0% and everything improved :) Give it a go mate

Typo by me. It is on, though I only turned it on because everyone was saying it was causing issues with it turned off. Personally, I've never seen this init process doing any thing wrong

Upvote 0
I would suggest visiting carphonewarehouse and playing around with both phones.

Good luck with that. As far as I can tell Carphonewarehouse don't have any display model Nexus S phones, at least not in the three stores I tried.

You've got to get an assistant to go and get you a new boxed one from out the back. It'll be all boxed up new with the battery wrapped separately, uncharged. No opportunity to play around with it or even switch it on. just see it and feel how it is in the hand.

No regrets taking a punt and getting mine though.

Upvote 0
just don't get it, why people complain on DHD battery life?
My brand new laptop will last max 4-5hr without charge, DHD syncs email all day, update weather and news all day, send and receive texts, phone calls, watch few videos, browse Internet when needed and 24hr battery life sees me easily :thinking:

Since having DHD, i barely use laptop now

Upvote 0
Good luck with that. As far as I can tell Carphonewarehouse don't have any display model Nexus S phones, at least not in the three stores I tried.

Don't jump to assumptions mr Anthony just because you carried no luck yourself.

Try Westfield, London. They have them on display for demo.

BTW did u try all 4 stores in Luton/Stevenage/Hatfield etc, that is what I would have expected.

Upvote 0
Forgot why I returned to this post.

I'm not getting a Nexus S. I cant remember all the reasons, but from the top of my head,

Battery life isnt that much better despite the size of the battery,
Camera is only 5mp, compared to DHD's 8mp
Its made of cheap plastic
No SD Slot and built in memory means if the phone dies, so do all my pictures
ALL of the added features like NPC, are things I dont want/need
HTC wont issue me a refund (I tried to get one based on the battery life)

Upvote 0
I'd partially agree with you, BUT, you shouldn't have to be playing around to get the correct setup. Out of the box the new generation smartphones should be [IMHO] able to last 36 hours without a charge, making use of all their services.

That is a tad unrealistic for a smartphone with a 4 inch screen, I think but it's always been the case that smartphones require end-user customization in order for them to really shine.

I actually (and perhaps perversely) like that about smartphones to some extent.

What really makes me angry is the fact that we have to sift through piles of absolute nonsense online in order to get to real, helpful information.

When I first got the original Desire I was utterly horrified by the battery life and stumbling on the Desire forum actually did more harm than good at first.

Some users claimed days of "heavy" usage (total bollocks) whilst others recommended Task Killers (detrimental to performance and battery life) all serving to obfuscate and confuse.

Desire HD battery life is actually very good, considering the enormous screen and ten minutes of tinkering with the settings can solve most issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones