• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire HD replacement

batfinkgtr

Jul 20, 2011
Hi,

Currently got a Desire HD, but getting fed up with it now, consistently dropping the mobile network if making a call, and the poor battery life, which not even a new battery seemed to solve.

So looking at buying a replacement, still within contract, so going the replacement route.

Shortlist:

Sensation XE
Sensation XL
Galaxy S2

So what are the thoughts? I am in the UK if that makes any difference. I like the HTC's solid feel, and don't like the Galaxy which feels plasticy and just too light.

I know the XE has a bigger battery than the XL, but according to comparisons elsewhere, the XL actually lasts longer, presumably due to the single core processor. I'm thinking though the a dual core processor will be better for the future??

Just hoping for tips and advice, I know a phone is a personal thing. Hoping to visit a CPW at lunchtime to see these in the flesh.

Thanks.

Gary

The S2 is easily the best phone of the 3, but like yourself, I prefer the feel of HTC handsets. I suppose if you were to put a decent case on there, it wouldn't make much of a difference?

I remember reading a phandroid article stating you don't really notice the single core in the XL as it's pretty slick, but for future proofing, dual will probably be better.

So, to summarise, I don't know :p There is nothing really wrong with any of those phones, it's just a case of heading to CPW and seeing which one feels right. You might also want to take a look at the Galaxy Note? It's like a bigger version of the S2 but due to its size, it doesn't feel as cheap.

Upvote 0
Reactions: MSLuyt
Upvote 0
Hi John_g.

Yep, reviewed the forums, but unfortunately most people only post when they have a problem, so somewhere like this makes most phone look like a crock of poo, when clearly that isnt the case.

From the reading I have done, looks like the Galaxy is the best, I just dont like it's light and plastic feel.

So at the moment, its either XE or XL, hmmmm

Will review the links you posted, thanks.

Gary

Upvote 0
Personally I think your wasting your money. There is nothing any of the phones on offer will do that will make them seem comparatively awe inspiring. I'd keep the money for a rainy day or at least until this beast arrives:

Quad-Core HTC Edge Receives a Name Change

That is the only handset either available now or on the horizon I'd consider replacing my DHD with and should you go for a Sensation with dual core when we are on the brink of quadcore going into mass production it imho would be a big mistake.

Reactions: MSLuyt and malcster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones