1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Desire HD replacementGeneral

1. batfinkgtr

batfinkgtr Member

Hi,

Currently got a Desire HD, but getting fed up with it now, consistently dropping the mobile network if making a call, and the poor battery life, which not even a new battery seemed to solve.

So looking at buying a replacement, still within contract, so going the replacement route.

Shortlist:

Sensation XE
    Sensation XL
    Galaxy S2

So what are the thoughts? I am in the UK if that makes any difference. I like the HTC's solid feel, and don't like the Galaxy which feels plasticy and just too light.

I know the XE has a bigger battery than the XL, but according to comparisons elsewhere, the XL actually lasts longer, presumably due to the single core processor. I'm thinking though the a dual core processor will be better for the future??

Just hoping for tips and advice, I know a phone is a personal thing. Hoping to visit a CPW at lunchtime to see these in the flesh.

Thanks.

Gary

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

The S2 is easily the best phone of the 3, but like yourself, I prefer the feel of HTC handsets. I suppose if you were to put a decent case on there, it wouldn't make much of a difference?

I remember reading a phandroid article stating you don't really notice the single core in the XL as it's pretty slick, but for future proofing, dual will probably be better.

So, to summarise, I don't know :p There is nothing really wrong with any of those phones, it's just a case of heading to CPW and seeing which one feels right. You might also want to take a look at the Galaxy Note? It's like a bigger version of the S2 but due to its size, it doesn't feel as cheap.
  3. batfinkgtr

batfinkgtr Member

Thanks.

Popped in to CPW and non the wiser really. Galaxy S2 looks good, but feels like a toy and suspected. XL is huge, even compared with the HD. They didnt have an XE. All a similar price on sim free, guess its the toss of a coin time then. :)
  4. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

MSLuyt likes this.
  5. batfinkgtr

batfinkgtr Member

Hi John_g.

Yep, reviewed the forums, but unfortunately most people only post when they have a problem, so somewhere like this makes most phone look like a crock of poo, when clearly that isnt the case.

From the reading I have done, looks like the Galaxy is the best, I just dont like it's light and plastic feel.

So at the moment, its either XE or XL, hmmmm

Will review the links you posted, thanks.

Gary
  6. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

Personally I think your wasting your money. There is nothing any of the phones on offer will do that will make them seem comparatively awe inspiring. I'd keep the money for a rainy day or at least until this beast arrives:

Quad-Core HTC Edge Receives a Name Change

That is the only handset either available now or on the horizon I'd consider replacing my DHD with and should you go for a Sensation with dual core when we are on the brink of quadcore going into mass production it imho would be a big mistake.
    MSLuyt and malcster like this.
  7. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member

I can upgrade after16 months in Feb but I might wait until my 18 months is up in April and look into a edge or what ever its called

Thanks for the info ..
  8. batfinkgtr

batfinkgtr Member

Thanks for the information, looks like I might hold off for a few weeks and see what gets announced. That new phone looks interesting, be good to see the final specs, and an expected UK street price.

:p
  9. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Well-Known Member

I live in a very bad reception area and yet I have never had a the mobile network drop whilst on a call, I think you need to talk to your provider before spending money.