Desire HD - Shutting down when lockedSupport

Last Updated:

1. mgillespie1981

mgillespie1981 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Whenever I lock the phone it has recently starting turning itself off. It also did this when I answered a call yesterday then took it away from my ear and it was off.

Is there any issues with using the 'power' button to lock the phone and unlock it?

It's extremely annoying and I've installed the latest software patch.

Advertisement
  2. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

Really weird stuff. Are you suspecting any power-management app that might have influence over this thing? Maybe it's worth to do a factory reset and check if that solves the issue? If it won't I think you'll need to take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement mate...

3. mgillespie1981

Just a minute ago I showed a mate the 'Instant Hear rate' app, and I had the camera covered etc...

I locked it after this and lo and behold it turned off again. So I've removed this app and will test over the next few hours to see if there's any difference.

Fingers crossed. What does a factory reset do? You lose all the stuff on it don't ya?

4. mgillespie1981

Nope just did it again, it's like it is going to sleep or something.

The power button at the top locks and unlocks it right?

5. mgillespie1981

There should be warranty for this sort of issue right? Because I just cancelled my insurance for the phone.

6. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

Aye, there definitely is mate, it should be 24 months.

7. MrPie

MrPie Well-Known Member

What do you mean its shutting down? The phone does sort of go into a quick hibernate mode and then you have to unlock again. Do you get the htc sense screen with the little tune?

Could be faulty or something. Don't think there's an option to make the phone turn off after a certain time of inactivity. Try a factory reset as sith suggested.

8. chessmaster

chessmaster New Member

Im having the same issue with my HTC Desire HD, It will shutdown whilst locked in my pocket or sitting on a table, then when I try turn back on it will not even if I take out the battery and replace it. Normally turns back on after around 10-20 mins.

Normally seems to happen after using video recorder or watching videos...

Will keep an eye on it, but there are more and more topics with this being raised, thinking there might be a major fault with the phone.

I spoke with someone at car phone warehouse who said they had issues with the screen on this phone hwoever mine would have had the issue resovled as they sent back a load of them. Just wondering if this is the same issue...

9. Silhouette

Silhouette Member

my DHD keeps turning off too. When you press the power button to unlock it the htc logo comes up and plays the jingle. bloody annoying.

im going to try putting some paper on the battery to pad it out, if that doesn't work then im factory resetting and if that doesn't work i'm going to carphone warehouse!

10. dazbez

dazbez New Member

Just started happening to me, thought was one off yesterday but happened again today. Have not been using the phone for extended period and wondered if had shut down for this but not in manual. Going to test theory tomorrow as had no troubles until now. Once gone I have to take out battery:mad: and put back before it will restart! Pain

11. Leegee87

Leegee87 New Member

I also seem to be suffering from this problem. The worst part is I can't seem to identify the problem, it just seems completely random. Might have to take a trip to T-mobile I think.

12. dazbez

dazbez New Member

Tried the inactivity theory complete red herring shut down again. Looks like a replacements on the agenda unless anyone has any other ideas?

13. ivaveb

ivaveb New Member

Same thing with my 1 month old DHD. Shuts down all the time if it gets cold (below zero). Will not start either if sufficiently cold even if battery is charged. Also shuts down when locked at other times as well, but not a pattern in this behaviour.
    Anyone know how warranty works? Bought mine on travel abroad, - can I claim in any shop dealing HTC?

14. Silhouette

Silhouette Member

happened to me again today since a hard reset.

what apps are people running when their phone crashes?

for me: 3G watchdog, launcher pro +, digital clock widget. have widget locker installed too but not running.

I doubt it will be any of these making it shut down, but just wondered what other people had because mine was fine before installing these again :/

15. smrschippers

smrschippers New Member

I have the same problem, it only happens when the phone is going into different circumstances: outside it's freezing, so if I go outside and the phone is in my pocket, it's going to shut down. Very annoying!

Could that also be the problem with other people?

16. THE ANDROID

THE ANDROID Well-Known Member

Maybe the phones not supposed to be used at certain temperatures so it shuts off to prevent damage, eg too cold.

I would have always thought too hot would be the thing to turn it off and not too cold.

17. batokr

batokr New Member

the same problem here....going ot carphone tomorrow...

18. pguilha

pguilha New Member

so...anyone found a solution to this? does it really require a replacement? Would really appreciate an answer, I really dont know what to do about this and have already sent the phone back once for an unrelated problem, and dont really fancy having to wait for another 3 weeks to get it back!

19. brun82

brun82 New Member

mines had this problem, not even had it 2 weeks

it went back to Phones4U this morning for a replacement

20. setareh

setareh New Member

This has been happening to me too! Many many times. I can confirm it is completely random, it happens whether I have been using an app, or whether the phone is inactive. It's happened during the night, my DHD turned itself off so the alarm didn't go off and I was late for work. And no, it isn't cold in the house, so it's not temperature related.
    At the moment, it's happening when I am in the middle of a text message. Very annoying.
    In my opinion, this appears to be a fault with the software or the phone itself.

21. wilsyzy

wilsyzy New Member

Has anyone found a cure for this really annoying nuisance ?? Im at the brink of taking a hammer and smashing the phone into bits and mailing it back to the sales director of HTC...please somebody, anybody....

22. rhod

rhod Well-Known Member

also happening with me, at completely random times. only noticed it a few times when my phone isn't on silent (is a lot due to work)

can also confirm that i have a lot of downloaded apps but one is also 3g watchdog, perhaps removing this may answer some more questions. ill let you know

23. landovr

landovr Well-Known Member

I have noticed that there are different types of dhd eg. a9191, a9192, a9292. Do you all have the same model.

24. sabrelli

sabrelli New Member

anyone found the reason behind this issue???

really frustrating, tried factory reset, changed mem card...

and its just so random..

25. janfar

janfar Active Member

Join the club brother... im hoping its just a fault of the software... but that may be a far fetched hope...

What model is everyone running... Mine is DHD A9191... wonder if it could be a trend on one specific handset. If so we can jointly lodge a complaint into HTC and 'hopefully' they can do a repair/ replacement. Mine will be going in today to the repair shop..