Desire HD sizeGeneral

Last Updated:

1. ballsofsteel

ballsofsteel New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, Im new to this forum. Found it a few days ago.

I just like to get your opinion on the size of this thing. I have already pre ordered this device from Clove . However im beginning to have doubts on the Size of this thing.

So what are your thoughts on the size? I am a little worried that it would be a little too bulky

PS im contemplating on cancelling my order and getting a Desire Z But i dont think ill be using the QWERTY at all and apparently there are problems with the "Z" Hinge?

Advertisement
  2. mcnob

mcnob Well-Known Member

Define "bulky"?

The "Z" is thicker than the HD due to the QWERTY keyboard. The HD is only very slightly wider than a standard Desire and it's thinner than I thought it would be. Still very pocket-sized.

3. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

I played with one yesterday. Yes it feels 'chunky' compared to my Galaxy S, but I think it's chunky in a good way. Feels very solid.

4. SpencerUk

SpencerUk Well-Known Member

Where you heard about the hinge?

Personal preference end of the day isn't it

5. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

The hinge is a well documented problem. Have a search for desire z on engadget.

6. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

The 'problem' with the hinge on the Z is that it opens halfway when held upside down. I don't see this as a problem so much as a slight design oversight, and I don't think many users are likely to try and use it upside down anyway.

7. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

8. SpencerUk

Well first off, you are not gonna hold the phone upside down so thats abit daft.

Second, missing storage is mainly down to the G2 itself having loads of pre-loaded Google programs on (documented) where as the Desire Z doesn't have anything pre-loaded.

Why does it have stuff on there pre-loaded..who knows.

9. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

The storage thing is immaterial - the G2 explicitly comes with more flash storage than the DZ and someone in HTC screwed up producing some of the G2s.

10. AstralZero

AstralZero Well-Known Member

Personally I think anything less than 4" is too small... I use my phone for browsing a lot so the bigger the better as far as I'm concerned.

If the Samsung Galaxy Tab fit in my pocket I'd probably get that as my main phone :D

11. codral

codral Well-Known Member

Hey just a heads up... i got my HD last night, and it's way too big.

Like i awnted a large screen but this is ridiculous, went out to the city last night and got about 6 comments from people like wtf is that a phone or a tablet

it also takes up alot of pocket space... anywho i'll be using my n95 for going out in the future, but this is a great size for watching movies, browsing etc

Oh also the side battery compartment u pull the battery out of is badly designed, it has one little notch to open it off of and if u use that and don't shift ur fingers up the phone as you open it it bends a crap load. Should have been made of steel

12. SpencerUk

Can you prove that?. Probably not.

Also if you look at the G2's and the Desire Z..Depending on if they are unbranded or sold as T-Mobile G2, the latter has less ROM space and flash storage as T-Mobile as put a load of crap on...I even read that somewhere back on TechRadar and Engadget when they got released.

If you have big hands like me, you need bigger phones :p

It's not "way too big"..its everyone's personal opinions.

It sounds like you have just bought this phone on impulse and not actually tried it out or anything or looked.

13. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the size are:

a) It seems to corespond exactly with the dimensions given in reviews and the specifications.

b) I wanted a big screen, I got a big screen.

c) My friend, who didn't want a big screen, didn't choose this phone.

Any new phone arrives with some surprises - some good, some not so good - but surely size isn't one of them?

14. Fio

Fio Well-Known Member

I have DHD for 3 weeks or so and I often play with my friend's iPhone 4. Even though iPhone 4 has better image quality, I always feel like i lack space on iPhone's "small" screen. Using the screen on DHD is much easier due to it's size.

I've never had problems with DHD's dimensions.

15. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

Back to the point of size.

Really honestly its not much bigger than lots of other phones SGS, iphone 4, 3gs, blackberry storm. so i wouldn't worry and its very nice for typing in landscape mode so really no need for a hard keyboard such as the desire z. my hard keyboard died on my G1 and i was so so lost without it but no im just used to the the soft keyboard in landscape can type pretty fast too. :(

16. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

I was really worried about it being too big, and kept playing with dad's Normal desire for weeks before getting the DHD to decide if I could deal with anything bigger.

It is the biggest phone I will ever own, and is a little odd when you hold it to your ear, but it was only 2-3 days before I fell in love with the size of the DHD.

Plus, yesterday I loaded up a picture of something and showed it to a friend across the room who was able to see the picture perfectly. How many phones can do that!!!

17. ynwa

ynwa Well-Known Member

The size of the DHD is fine i think. I have a gel case round it though which makes it feel a lot bulkier and heavier. Currently looking for a thinner protector.