Desire HD strange screen problem - works in the dark, not in daylight!

1. oscarcoelho

oscarcoelho New Member

Hello all, first time poster so please be gentle!

I have a strange problem and have tried the usual factory reset etc.

In sunlight or natural light my 18 month old DHD screen becomes very sluggish. Typing is a real pain, sometimes the screen doesn't recognise keyboard taps and other times it makes them up randomly. It's like the screen is coated in a layer of goo!

But in low light, indoors or at night, the four menu buttons light up (well, actually, the Back arrow doesn't light up for some reason), and the screen functions PERFECTLY.

Turning Automatic brightness on or off doesn't seem to make a difference.

At first I thought I was going mad - a phone that only works properly in the dark is somewhat ridiculous!

Does anyone have any idea of a solution, or even a work around for this? I'm not mad keen on rooting my phone but would do if it was the only way to solve the problem.

Thanks!

Oscar

Advertisement
  2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forums Oscar - thanks for joining!! :)

I've not heard of an issue like this before... it sounds like it could be a hardware issue. The DHD comes with a 2 year manufacturer warranty - it could be worth contacting them :)
  3. oscarcoelho

oscarcoelho New Member

Ah many thanks - didn't realise there was a 2 yr warranty. Will let you know how I get on!
    D-U-R-X likes this.
  4. boasty929

boasty929 New Member

This is natural behaviour for this phone - it is part of the power saving modes etc. The reason the menu buttons don't light up in the day - is that you can already see them!! Its like your house lights at home.... you don't have them on during the day.... try a test... use the phone on your desk in the light & then use it hidden under a coat etc... The lights will only come on when it is dark... its not a fault its actually quite clever if you think about it...

cheers Mark
  5. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

I don't think that oscar was referring to not being able to see the lights, but that his phone is sluggish when in the light but, when in the dark, it works like a charm!
    oscarcoelho likes this.
  6. oscarcoelho

oscarcoelho New Member

Hi Mark! Thanks for your reply. Yes I understand that this is a feature of the phone, but not the laggy/unresponsive screen bit!

I rang HTC and they are going to take the phone in to look at - but the customer service guy didn't email me the address as he said he would. Must try again today...