• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire HD vs Galaxy S

I'm still waiting to see whether to get rid of my Galaxy S and replace it with a Desire HD.

I'm sick of Samsung's lack of support and the repeated delays to updates. I guess with the slight delay to the Desire Samsung have one last chance to fix all of the issues.

Anyway, don't buy the Galaxy S. I won't be buying from Samsung again.

I'm 90 % towards DHD and 10 % towards the Galaxy S I think.

Upvote 0
Yep, the 'dual-touch' in the Nexus and Desire has been sorted since the Incredible and Evo 4G, shouldn't be an issue with the Desire HD.

If you're not the sort to tinker with your phone and sort out issues/upgrade to unofficial Froyo firmwares etc, then I would strongly recommend the Desire HD. If you are willing and able to then the Galaxy S is an incredible handset, I won't get a Desire HD until I see the reviews because it needs to match my optimised GS in a few key areas before I will change.

Upvote 0
So now I made up my mind and ordered the HTC Desire HD. I'm really looking forward to it, but unfortunately I have to wait to January (buying it through my company).

Look on the bright side of that though bud;

By getting it a couple of months later, stock demand will be better and any bugs found will be ironed out by then :)

Upvote 0
anyone know if the Desire HD is any good in direct sunlight? The desire was hard to see and i've read that the HD isn't as easy to see in the sunlight as the desire? anyone know

It won't be easy to read. It's a standard LCD. If you care about that get a Galaxy S as the screen is nothing short of beautiful.

As mentioned above though, don't get the Galaxy S if you care the tiniest bit about the GPS.

Upvote 0
Really? it's not even S-LCD like the Desire was? SO what's that mean, less vibrant colours and harder to see in the sun.. that sucks, gah, back to waiting for a phone that ticks all the right boxes...

Can anyone confirm that this is not the case? I was under the impression that it is S-LCD equiv but S-LCD was a registered screen type or brand name or something by another company

Upvote 0
There's been all sorts said about the screen. At first it was suggested it was AMOLED, then S-LCD but I don't know if anyone knows for sure.

The argument here is that HTC would have shouted it about if it was anything other than an LCD. The size of the screen makes this very likely as the HD2 and the EVO had standard LCDs.

I think the same argument is going on about the HD7 at the moment.

Upvote 0
There's been all sorts said about the screen. At first it was suggested it was AMOLED, then S-LCD but I don't know if anyone knows for sure.

The argument here is that HTC would have shouted it about if it was anything other than an LCD. The size of the screen makes this very likely as the HD2 and the EVO had standard LCDs.

From what i've read, one of HTC's first press releases said it was S-LCD but they got in trouble and changed/removed it, was a youtube vid about it too they deleted... alot of reviews are saying S-LCD so i'll take a stab

Upvote 0
I can currently only recommend a Galaxy S to users that don't use a GPS.

Basic feature and it's so bad on the Galaxy S it might as well not have one, it's worse than ever in the latest "Official" froyo firmware.

Each to their own.

Really? it's not even S-LCD like the Desire was? SO what's that mean, less vibrant colours and harder to see in the sun.. that sucks, gah, back to waiting for a phone that ticks all the right boxes...

Can anyone confirm that this is not the case? I was under the impression that it is S-LCD equiv but S-LCD was a registered screen type or brand name or something by another company

Email HTC get an official response ;)

As the above, better of emailing HTC

From what i've read, one of HTC's first press releases said it was S-LCD but they got in trouble and changed/removed it, was a youtube vid about it too they deleted... alot of reviews are saying S-LCD so i'll take a stab

Doesn't mention anything specific on Desire HD specs page.

Upvote 0
yeh i know it doesn't mention anything specific, i've seen an email and heard a youtube confirmation that it's S-LCD, both from HTC, tis good enough for me, especially if people are saying it's brighter than the desires one, mind you, as i said earlier i rushed (and by rush i do mean about 3 weeks of research) into a desire normal and regretted that (bad graphics, crap speaker, average camera and main thing was the axis crossing on the screen) sucks to be so compulsive

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
yeh i know it doesn't mention anything specific, i've seen an email and heard a youtube confirmation that it's S-LCD, both from HTC, tis good enough for me, especially if people are saying it's brighter than the desires one, mind you, as i said earlier i rushed (and by rush i do mean about 3 weeks of research) into a desire normal and regretted that (bad graphics, crap speaker, average camera and main thing was the axis crossing on the screen) sucks to be so compulsive

I've I made a video and put it on Youtube and said X phone has a dual core processor with an 64gb flash storage..would you believe me?

Just because its brighter doesn't mean anything...heck I could go to the brightness settings and turn the contrast up.

Best people to ask is HTC.

Galaxy S has better CPU, GPU, and screen.

The Desire HD is comes with an older 65nm CPU while every smartphone that has been released in the past few months use 45nm CPUs. Yes they are still similar architectures but its obvious the 45nm Samsung CPU is more advanced with more cache memory hence the better benchmarks.

You have to bare in mind, you can't directly compare one to another..that it Samsung's own chip, designed for their own stuff..Snapdragon is a multi purpose CPU put in different phones.

Upvote 0
I can currently only recommend a Galaxy S to users that don't use a GPS.

Basic feature and it's so bad on the Galaxy S it might as well not have one, it's worse than ever in the latest "Official" froyo firmware.

This has done it for me, I am going to sell the SGS. I was hoping that the latest release on the SGS would solve the GPS issues. I use the GPS a lot - as a Sat Nav in the car and when I am in London tryiing to find a client address - it really is terrible, almost impossible to get a consistent lock on your position.

I am going to order the Desire HD. My wife has just got the HTC Legend and I love it - such a great phone... for her.

Anyone want to buy a cheap SGS?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones