• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire HTC Desire HD says: Limited Service Emergency Calls Only

This started happening to me over the last week or so too! I put it down to my SIM card being really old and got it replaced today as it had been happening where the signal strength is normally excellent!

I'm at my sister's where the signal is poor but usually consistent and I've had no service since I arrived. The new SIM card made no difference.

Upvote 0
This started happening to me over the last week or so too! I put it down to my SIM card being really old and got it replaced today as it had been happening where the signal strength is normally excellent!

I'm at my sister's where the signal is poor but usually consistent and I've had no service since I arrived. The new SIM card made no difference.

The main radio antennae is in the batt door, check the contacts, gently bend them upwards just a little bit for create better surface contact. (wifi antennae is in the bottom cover, and gps antennae are in the plastic 'window' on the flash led's)

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Update:

Got a new SIM card and tested it in my sister's phone (Samsung Galaxy S)- full signal no problems. Put card in my phone - no signal registered as before...Grrr

Came home today - signal was patchy at best in places where there is normally no problem so it definitely seems to be pointing towards a problem with the phone rather than with the signal itself.

Think I will be going back to the supplier.

Upvote 0
Got the same problem on my standard HTC Desire. I'm with T-mobile, the phone says emergency calls only when I try to use it with T-mobile. The phone then switches automatically to Orange and I can make calls again which is nice but I am a little preturbed that it switches networks without asking me/me doing anything?

Upvote 0
Got the same problem on my standard HTC Desire. I'm with T-mobile, the phone says emergency calls only when I try to use it with T-mobile. The phone then switches automatically to Orange and I can make calls again which is nice but I am a little preturbed that it switches networks without asking me/me doing anything?

Bazman - apparently the 2 networks you mention are linked for T Mobile to service Orange users if the Orange network goes out of range so I'm not sure if you have the same problem.......:thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm new to this forum but I have exactly the same issue with my Desire Z and I'm also with T-Mobile. Over the last couple of weeks I have had nothing but the Limited Service. The sim is fine in my 5 year old Motorola V3 and full signal. Methinks the Desire is playing up. Anything to do with the recent digital TV switchover perhaps?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones