11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. Switch to a Desire

1 vote(s)
    8.3%

Last Updated:

1. versp

versp Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm really torn between the 2. As crazy as the Streak is, I've kinda hit some issues with it.

-No portrait launcher. Dell has seriously screwed up with that, who wants to use their phone exclusively in landscape?
    -Apps. I'll take for example some app I picked up earlier, because of the overlarge screen, things don't scale up properly. This is most evident in launchers.
    -Updates. I know we're getting Froyo, but Gingerbread is the big one, and given the few users with one, I doubt we'll even be getting a hacked ROM for that.
    -Notifications. I guess I'm just being obsessive, but I want that drag down bar sooo bad.

What does everyone else think of these issues, and is it enough to switch to a Desire?

Advertisement
  2. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Well-Known Member

It seems that most of your issues are OS related, nothing a upgrade shouldn't fix.

3. versp

The real question is whether the upgrade will fix it. And from what I heard, Dell doesn't have a great record of doing that.

4. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Well-Known Member

Hard to say, Dell being new in the Android phone business, etc. I have found that it is more a carrier issue rather than the manufacturer. I know on my Blackberry, I have installed OS upgrades from other carriers because At&t was just slow to releasing upgrades.

Hope we will finally find out what OS the US release will be deploying with, hoping for anything that starts with a "2" :D

But it isn't a deal breaker for me, I am new to the Android and by no means a power user, so as long as it will do what my Blackberry does, I will be good. And if it does what my Laptop, MP3 player also do, even better ;)

5. Rhysd2

Rhysd2 Well-Known Member

install ADW launcher. it was tweaked specially for the streak. It will fix most of the issues your having except for the apps now growing to the screen. you'll need to contact the app developer for that.

ADW has a feature that will enable you to go portrait and will allow you to customise the number of app row/columns on each screen to scale it for the streaks size.

6. versp

Thanks a lot, it's wonderful, but puts me in an even tighter situation. I think I'm going to end up going back to being normal and getting a Desire mainly because of the guarantee of community support (looking towards Froyo and Gingerbread).

7. undrwater

undrwater Member

Any "community" being fickle, there is never any guarantee of support, regardless of device. For now, the streak is somewhat unusual, so you will find some hardcore fans working to make the device meet their needs, and helping each other out in the process.

All of these devices have a built-in shelf life, so that you will feel motivated to get 'the next big thing". If a 5" screen is not what sells you, then for sure you are better off with another device. Don't worry about the software...it will be fixed.

As for gingerbread...it's way too early in the game to tell what devices will or will not get it. Might as well wait for a PC that gets the new processor.

What meets your needs...not your desires! ;)

8. Northerner

Northerner Member

Exactly.

Need a web tablet that's (just about) pocketable and can make the occasional phone call? Get the Streak.

Need a pocket phone that can be used for occasional web browsing? Get the Desire.

Get those basics wrong and you can be sure misery will ensue.

9. sleepycat64

sleepycat64 New Member

I sold my Desire to buy the Streak, no regrets what so ever!

10. Jenniferr2011

Jenniferr2011 Member

If you have patience to wait, Dell Streak maybe a good choice.