Desire Orientation doesn't work

Last Updated:

1. mikelevy

mikelevy Member This Topic's Starter

I have a new Desire from Vodafone that came unlocked. The orientation does not work now. At first it did. By orientation I mean how text changes to readable in different planes according to whether the phone is held upright and horizontal or upright and vertical. Can anyone tell me if it is possible for this to be a system software problem or is it certain to be a hardware one? Is there any way to diagnose this?

Advertisement
  2. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Firstly, it only rotates when turned anticlockwise on the software version you'll have, so make sure it isn't that. If you're turning it the right way, try giving it a bit of a flick when you turn it to see if it changes then.

If it still doesn't work, go to a homescreen, click the menu button, tap settings, display, then G sensor calibration and complete it.

If that doesn't help, I'm stumped. Could it be an app you've installed?

kenh0y and mikelevy like this.
  3. SushiFiend

SushiFiend Member

In the browser, it's possible to lock the orientation to landscape. Check that you haven't selected that. Within the browser, press the menu button, and then More. Then select settings, and clear any checkbox next to Landscape-only display.

SF

kenh0y and mikelevy like this.
  4. mikelevy

mikelevy Member This Topic's Starter

Unfortunately none of the suggestions cure the problem. Will probably take drastic action. First do a back-up, then a factory re-set. If that doesn't cure the problem, then the phone will have to go back to Vodafone and see how they take care of it

5. SushiFiend

SushiFiend Member

Try using one of the many bubble level apps to check that the orientation sensor itself is working correctly. When I had a Desire on Orange, one was pre-installed on the ROM. If you don't have one, I recommend Bubble by Ben Zibble.

SF

6. SushiFiend

SushiFiend Member

Deleted duplicate...

7. diggerbucket

diggerbucket Active Member

It only works one way, are you turning the phone the right way? It may sound silly but there was a thread not so long ago when someone else thought it was broken :)