• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help desire problems

cairns84

Mar 17, 2011
hey peeps my g/fs desire has a problem at random times it decides it wants to scroll right, u can leave it on the home screen then it just starts moving right through the screens, does this while texting, gaming well everything really.

tried factory resets, its been to htc for repair for this same problem twice and it still comes back with the same problem. even tried a full format of the sd card and a new one as well.

any advice?

I'd say it's fairly obviously a hardware fault, almost certainly with the optical trackpad. If the fault is intermittent, there's a fair chance the repair tech can't replicate it (and won't just take your word for it) so won't fix it.
Can you narrow it down? Is the problem heat-related - if you leave the phone sat with the screen on, does it start scrolling after a certain period of time?

That said, if it's been back twice already, then you've got a fairly good argument for insisting on a replacement handset. Are you on a contract, and did you return the phone to the carrier or to HTC direct?

Upvote 0
SiHa, it is also possibly a faulty Digitiser (OP, thats the layer of glass over the screen that converts your touch into digital instructions).

I have seen this before. My fiance's HTC Hero had both this issue where screens would scroll, buttons would seem to be already held down and the sense bar was unresponsive. It seemed less problematic when it was cold.

Upvote 0
SiHa, it is also possibly a faulty Digitiser (OP, thats the layer of glass over the screen that converts your touch into digital instructions).

I have seen this before. My fiance's HTC Hero had both this issue where screens would scroll, buttons would seem to be already held down and the sense bar was unresponsive. It seemed less problematic when it was cold.

Really? I'd be surprised if a faulty digitizer would make it consistently scroll to the right, and I assumed that with the reference to texting the OP meant that the cursor would be moving right. But I'll bow to your experience and 1k+ thanks!

Anywho, it's a hardware fault.

Upvote 0
hi in regards to it it happens at random times and temps, sometimes the phone can be cool and warm when it happens. it doesnt select anything it just scrolls right constanly and nothing short of powering the phone off fixes it at times.

we're with carphone warehouse but we contacted htc to fix directly.

htc say they replaced the motherboard, the trackpad, and the screen over the 2 trys and still its doing it.

got it recorded on another phone doing it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones