• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire S does not get IP address from DHCP server

My Desire S connects to my WiFi network but will no longer allow me to connect to other computers on the network or the Internet.

When I check the IP address it shows as 10.0.0.12

My DHCP server is set to allocate addresses in the range 192.168.0.x

I tried using a manual allocation setting for the phone MAC address in the router and also setting a fixed IP in the phone settings but the IP address does not change.

This has happened within the last few days.

A couple of weeks ago I received a message on my phone saying that it may have a virus and I should visit the play store to download antivirus software. I took this as an advertising ploy. Coincidence?

I have not done any manual upgrades.

I have rebooted the phone after removing & replacing the battery with no success.

All other devices on the network including an Android tablet are not affected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Philpott

My Desire S connects to my WiFi network but will no longer allow me to connect to other computers on the network or the Internet.

When I check the IP address it shows as 10.0.0.12

My DHCP server is set to allocate addresses in the range 192.168.0.x

I tried using a manual allocation setting for the phone MAC address in the router and also setting a fixed IP in the phone settings but the IP address does not change.

This has happened within the last few days.

A couple of weeks ago I received a message on my phone saying that it may have a virus and I should visit the play store to download antivirus software. I took this as an advertising ploy. Coincidence?

I have not done any manual upgrades.

I have rebooted the phone after removing & replacing the battery with no success.

All other devices on the network including an Android tablet are not affected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Philpott

So your on Comcast*10.0.0.1-10.0.0.12,
And do you have a cable modem from Comcast?,If so what model?
And do you have a router connect too?

Upvote 0
No I'm not on Comcast.

I connect to the Internet through an Asus WL520g WiFi router.

Weird because the 10.0.0.12 ip is on comcast network in most cases.
What I would start with is,Disconnect all pc's and mobile devices from network.Then unplug modem and router from wall socket,Wait 30sec. to 1min.
Then plug modem in 1st and let it boot fully,Then plug router in 2nd.And turn your wifi off on your phone then turn it back on and connect phone to wifi.
Then try to connect the rest of your pc's and mobile devices.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. You made me sit back & think.

Rebooting everything pointed the way to the solution.

Recently I added an old Aironet 1120 wireless access point to extend the wifi coverage.

It turns out its IP is 10.0.0.1 and it has its own DHCP server. This has been conflicting with the DHCP server in my router which explains why I get different IPs on the wired and wireless connections.

The reason I only noticed it on the phone is because I take it out with me and it has to reconnect when I get home. All the other stuff was still connected.

I removed it from the network and problem solved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones