Desire screen doesn't want to turn on during callsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Ravmaster

Ravmaster Member This Topic's Starter

So there's this problem with my Desire, I can call and receive calls and everything. But once I'm in a call, the standby button will not turn the screen on, and no matter how many times I button mash all the soft keys, I get no response. However if my phone is feeling good, it'll show me the screen for a split second before hiding it again! This is a huge problem, I have no idea what the problem could be, as the standby button works fine when not in a call.. Anyone know what would be the reason? (Keep in mind, my HTC is literally a day old in my hands)
    Thanks in advance, :)

Advertisement
  2. anthgav

anthgav Well-Known Member

When you are on a call with the HTC DESIRE and you lift the phone to your ear the phone display will automatically turn off as there is a motion sensor built into the phone, this is to prevent you accidentally pressing anything on the screen with your ear while in a call.

If you are in a call and you take the phone away from your ear to view the screen for whatever reason make sure you have no body parts in front of the screen area otherwise the display will go off because of the motion sensor.

I am pretty confident this is your problem!

If you didn't know that the HTC DESIRE did this then I can understand that it would catch you out!

3. Ravmaster

Hey, thanks for the reply!
    I didn't know it did that but I had tried keeping the handset away from my head/ear before and still no response. I just tried again, got my friend to ring me and see if I could hang up on him, but no chance! I purposely had nothing infront of the phone at all and still no response from the screen!
    Any idea if a factory reset would resolve the problem?

4. anthgav

Right try this then just to be sure, when your in a call lay your phone flat on a table with the screen facing up and stand a couple of meters back from the phone and see if the display comes on, I just want to make sure your not holding your phone anywhere near the sensor.

5. Ravmaster

Okay I took that advice and tried that! It stayed idle the whole minute that I stood away from it, even if I tried to press the on button by pressing that and not holding anything else!

6. anthgav

Ok, the only other thing I can suggest is to go to settings/about phone/system software update and make sure your phone is completely up to date then once your happy that it is then do a factory reset on it.

If the problem still persists then you may have to take it back to the shop.

Ravmaster likes this.
  7. Ravmaster

Ahh okay, see I gave my phone to my cousin today, as he owns a Desire at current too, and he seemed to get the screen up alright! I was wondering if you could tell me where the sensors are? Maybe I'm holding it funny? Thanks for all the help so far! :)
    Also, how do I factory restore my device? It doesn't seem to be in settings!

8. anthgav

The proximity sensor is at the top left of the screen behind the black frame where it says HTC. Have a mess about while your in call and place your finger over that spot and see if you can get the screen to go on and off.

By the way do you have any sort of protective case around your phone?

9. Ravmaster

Yeah okay next time I will try that! But I think I'm going to try a reset now, how do I restore it? I can't find it in options! My cousin had tried a fast boot, I don't know if that had done anything!
    I have no case around it as yet :)

10. anthgav

11. Ravmaster

Off to the shop it goes! Thanks a lot for the help! I really appreciate it :)

12. streptomycin

streptomycin New Member

Just wanted to register and respond in case anyone else has this problem. I've been having this extremely annoying problem as well. I figured out that it was caused by the leather flip case I had it in. Something goes haywire with the proximity sensor when it is in that case and you cannot end calls or anything unless you remove it. Using the phone out of the case it works great!

13. cook1273

cook1273 Member

I to am having the problem described, however I installed a full body protector which included a heavy duty screen protector. My guess is that I am needing to remove the material around the sensor, gonna try it to see if it helps.

14. wezzist

wezzist New Member

i also have the problem with the phone screen not coming back on during a call, i have tried everything, reformatting the phone, it seems to work better in really bright sun light or if I press down hard and drag my thumb on the left hand side of the screen. I see alot of people have this issue ans it is soo annoying! any fixes ?