• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire Screens

MikeC1408

Android Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Essex
Hi, New here and new to Android having previously had iPhones and more recently Blackberrys so hello all.

I'm looking at getting the Desire as my first Android device, preferring the build quality on this to the Samsung GS.

Have been reading up about the Desire and it does seem an excellent bit of kit, but I'm confused over the screens AMOLED/SLCD.

Some sites prefer AMOLED others SLCD for various reasons. So I'm looking for help and advice.

Is there really that much difference in the battery life on either screen.

Should I really be worried about which one my phone comes with. If its a case of AMOLED is the best, does anyone know anywhere in the UK with them still in stock sim free.

Not too worried about direct sunlight issues, I could always turn round :D

Thanks for any advice in advance

Mike.

The first few batches were AMOLED - think most newer phones are SLCD. Usage-wise, they are very similar, the only difference being it goes dark when tilted vertically vs sideways. Reviews only say battery doesn't make much difference, compared to say... keeping wifi on.

The only massive difference will be if you are trying to mod/root/flash/debrand etc it. Since AMOLED's been out so long, it's a lot easier to 'hack' AMOLED ones. SLCD - there are ways, but I'm not so sure.

Upvote 0
The Black tones are better on the AMELOD Screens. Apart from that not a great deal of difference.

Think you will only get SLED now as the stock of the others is completely dead.

Would also add that the software on the Galaxy S is complete pants. A mate came over the other day and spent about 2 hours playing with it and much like previous Samsung phones its terrible! Also the Samsung are not renowned for their updating of firmware and as you say the build quality makes it feel like a really cheap knockoff iPhone...Squeeks and creeks like my old n96 :D

Would say get the desire or check out the desire HD if you don't mind a bigger screen.

Reactions: MikeC1408
Upvote 0
Have been reading up about the Desire and it does seem an excellent bit of kit, but I'm confused over the screens AMOLED/SLCD. Some sites prefer AMOLED others SLCD for various reasons. So I'm looking for help and advice.
With Samsung hording the AMOLED screens for their own phones, I doubt you'll find a Desire with an AMOLED these days. But it doesn't matter as the SLCD is just as good, with the same resolution. The only real difference is the colour rendition - the SLCD is more colour accurate which is good for photos, while the AMOLED has more contrast which tends to exaggerate colours in photos. Side by side you can notice the difference, but in singular use you'll likely never notice the difference. Either does the job nicely.
Is there really that much difference in the battery life on either screen.
I doubt there is much difference...other factors like bluetooth, WiFi, or other settings will have a bigger impact on battery life than the difference between screens.
Should I really be worried about which one my phone comes with.
Nope...I wouldn't.
:D

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, it's appreciated.

I'll be turning BT & WiFi off and most auto syncing widgets will be turned to on request.

AppKiller will also be installed. I reckon 4 or 5 calls, 10 - 20 texts, 30 minutes Internet and possible 30 minute film or music a day.

Hopefully the stock battery should get through a day on that set up.

Spare charging lead in the desk for heavy days.

Just hope this is all the phone I think it is, having had a quick play and read user reviews it does seem like a good device, save the battery.

Upvote 0
I reckon 4 or 5 calls, 10 - 20 texts, 30 minutes Internet and possible 30 minute film or music a day.
That sounds like a typical day for me but with more GPS/Maps and less music. I get a least a day and with lighter usage can get 2 days out of a charge. I would compare it to my iPhone but with more functionality and background tasks, so my Desire is doing good.
:D

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.

Interesting thread, there seems to be arguments for and against App Killers. Perhaps I'll leave it for now and see how I go.

Lekky, are there any disadvantages to the SLCD screen or am I worrying to much.

Found a site still advertising them, but I reckon they haven't updated their description yet as they are a big well known site.

Upvote 0
Play.com reckon they sell the AMOLED version but beware as my friend ended up with a silver dutch SLCD version from them. When he complained about the false advertising they said it was the manufacturers fault it said AMOLED on their website.. go figure! They then also tried to cover their a$$es by suggesting they did indeed have stock of AMOLED phones.. my friend is still awaiting a reply for an exchange.. reckon he could have a long wait.

Upvote 0
Play.com reckon they sell the AMOLED version but beware as my friend ended up with a silver dutch SLCD version from them. When he complained about the false advertising they said it was the manufacturers fault it said AMOLED on their website.. go figure! They then also tried to cover their a$$es by suggesting they did indeed have stock of AMOLED phones.. my friend is still awaiting a reply for an exchange.. reckon he could have a long wait.

Well I ended up phoning Play and asked which screen they sell.

Women said her computer didn't say, so I directed her to there own site wording, she then said we sell AMOLED I pointed out that HTC have changes their screens and asked if they were old stock.

Her answer to this one was priceless

Well it says AMOLED so it must be AMOLED the SLCD must be an accessory you can buy late to add on :D

I past on the offer of ordering one :mad:

Upvote 0
Well it says AMOLED so it must be AMOLED the SLCD must be an accessory you can buy late to add on :D

LOL!!!!!!

and just wondering if any new s-lcd desire owners experience dismal battery life with their desires.. engadget reviewed the new s-lcd on the desire and said that they found the amoled version had 30% battery left when the s-lcd version died (both playing a movie non-stop). was quite shocked that the margin was so large - 30%!:eek:

Upvote 0
exactly my sentiments, especially if your screen shows black a majority of the time.. which is very easily true since much of the menus in android have black as a background!

I'm supposing this is by design to support AMOLED screens. I love the fact that my screen is mostly off when using it so often ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones