• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire SD Memory Card(s) problem

Going back to the post about the temperature of the phone, I put my old SD card in my Desire when i first got it, and after a few days the phone decided it was damaged. I fixed it with chkdsk on my OC, but after about another three weeks it failed again and had to reformat it (although my card reader would read it fine). However, even after reformatting it still had problems, I couldn't write stuff to it from my PC. Upon closer inspection of the card it actually appears to have melted! There are small bubbles and such on the surface that look like they've been caused by excessive heat. I hope it wasn't caused by the Desire but I certainly hadn't noticed them before...

Upvote 0
Started happening to me after 3 weeks. Re-booting the phone seems to help, I have a business contract, so if I'm not busy today I will give my provider some welly about this, and come back to edit the post - if no edits I'm out cycling in the great English weather; which is what we should all get a bit more of. I'm suddenly worried about what has been a great device for me.

Upvote 0
Started with me after three weeks. I'm using an 8gb card that was supplied with my LG Renoir around January 2008 - it worked fine in that phone, this is the first time I've had any problems with it. When connected in the phone or an external reader I always get "there are problems with this disk", even after formatting, running chkdsk, etc. Very annoying.

The supplied 4gb card worked fine in the Desire, but annoyingly craps out in the Renoir around 20 seconds into any MP3 (I wanted to carry on using it while walking the dog, and leave the Desire at home).

Upon closer inspection of the card it actually appears to have melted! There are small bubbles and such on the surface that look like they've been caused by excessive heat. I hope it wasn't caused by the Desire but I certainly hadn't noticed them before...

That's not on the bottom side is it? (with the contacts). The three micro SD cards I have are like that, always have been, I think the bottom is lacquered instead of moulded in plastic to make them a bit thinner.

Upvote 0
I'm using an 8gb Class 2 Sandisk MicroSDHC cardthat I've had in my N95 for a few years and it appears to be okay so far, touch wood. I can also vouch for the 4gb Card supplied as that is going strong in the N95 now with my wife using it often for taking photos of the children. Something to look out for I suppose as I often mount rather than wifi transfer.

Upvote 0
Hi Im havin problems with my htc desire... well the memory card. I've tried formatting it via the Desire. But that didn't work. Then I tried formatting it through an SD Card reader but only gave the message that it was 'unable to carry out formatting'. Does anyone know what else I could do to get this to work? :(

Upvote 0
Right, i got a new 4GB card, real mccoy no cheap ebay crap and still didnt work, so did a factory reset in the settings, still didnt work and then did another reset using the power and volume down function and it still didnt work

Does this mean its a fault in the phone? Guessing HTC do a 12month warranty?

Upvote 0
Had the same issues last week, got my Desire on T-Mobile UK about 3 weeks ago, started getting the 'Damaged SD card' message. I was using my own 8GB Sandisk from a previous phone which worked fine. Unfortunatley it's been corrupted by the phone (won't open files on the PC, formatted it, still not recognised) and it has also corrupted another one I put in to test (the missus is not happy!). I mailed HTC Support, they came back advising I get my phone replaced. I've received my replacement phone today from T-Mobile and I have asked HTC if they will replace my damged mem cards, they have escalated my call and said I will receive a response in 48 hrs. It sounds to me like there's a faulty batch doing the rounds, considering HTC's response.

My only worry is that the replacement phone may be from the same batch! Currently running the 4GB disk that came with my original Desire.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I've never even used the MMC that came with my Desire, and mine was only a 2 gig....Australia...anyways, I used my 8gig memory from my blackberry and it simply worked...not a problem...i have had to reformat a couple of times due to pulling the plug or the computer freezing in the middle of a transfer, but that hasn't been much of an issue...my issue is this:

i've just bought a 32gb memory card and the card doesnt have any problems or bad sectors or anything...but everytime i've tried to transfer files from my old card to the new one it either corrupts it or just doesnt do it and freezes up....what do i do?

FAT32 on the new Card required right?
also if im waiting for Froyo to be released by Telstra and wanna run APP2SD after the release, will I need to reformat my card again into seperate partitions with the Ext3 or will the phone do that Automatically?

cheers
help

Upvote 0
I picked up my HTC Desire HD today, my first smart phone. Took it home, charged it up and had a mess around with it. Except the 8gig card that came in the phone wasn't recognised at all. So I swapped it out with a 2gig card from my nokia. Still nothing. Tried another 2gig card that was freshly formatted. Nothing. It'll tell me the SD card is damaged and it needs to reformat, I click through the prompts and it does nothing. I can read all the cards fine using my card reader on my PC and my nokia reads them all fine as well. So my card reader on the phone is stuffed right? I'm taking it back tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Okay so riht now im experiancing a similar problem. Today after speaking to t mobile about the setting on my htc desire and how I was unable to send picture messages and being walked through the setting steps they told me to send myself a picture to see if it worked. But when accessing the pictures it searched then told to to "insert SD card" I've had one or two niggles with it being a bit funny but its never done this. I've looked about and obviously done the whole take it out clean it and put it back in I've also read a factory reset would solve it. I done that and it hasnt. Help =/

Upvote 0
Ok I have had a similar issue with my Sandisk 2Gb Micro SD card mysteriously disappearing on my HTC Desire (running 2.2). I have had this phone for about 2 months and was bought new and the card mentioned is the original one supplied with the phone.

My symptoms:

• The SD card is not detected it in the Settings -> SD & phone storage menu and options to mount/reformat are greyed out
  • HTC Sync does not identify an SD card being present on the phone
  • I have no option available on the phone to Mount as a disk drive using the USB data cable
  • If you take the SD card and put it into a card reader, Windows may bring up a Scan & Fix dialog

Things I tried that did not work:

• Allowed Windows to perform a Scan & Fix on the SD card
  • Rebooted phone numerous times
  • Removed battery and waited for short periods and restarted phone
  • Removed SD card and re-inserted it
  • Reformat the SD card on a Windows 7 machine (using FAT32)
  • Attempted repair with chkdsk /r
  • Factory data reset on the phone

What did work for me:

• I took an SD card from another phone (an HTC Touch2 to be exact), inserted into the Desire, which was then found instantly
  • I then removed the other SD card and replaced with original card
  • The original SD card was now being identified! Bizarre!

I have no idea why this fixed the problem for me but I am relieved as it was frustrating me to no end. Since I have fixed this card I have had no issues with it disappearing again but I wouldn't be surprised if does happen again.

Always remember to back up your data before trying any of these steps.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I'm experiencing an issue with my desire HD phone in that the supplied mini SD card is now not being recognised my phone, i thought it was my phone originally but have replaced the supplied 4gb sd card with the supplied 2gb card i got with my previous phone, a nokia e71. once swapping, the HD recognised and 'prepared' my sd card, however the 4gb one isn't registered on my nokia... I'm confused about what to do? do i contact my service provider and request a new sd card from them as the one they supplied me with is clearly faulty, and if thats the case have i lost all my files, images, applications and videos from the card?
I'm a little frustrated to tell you the truth, plus my macbook is broken too. technology seems to hate me... anyone with advice please comment or advise..
J

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones