• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire SD Memory Card(s) problem

this seems to have worked for me.

1. removed the sd card from the phone
2. placed sd card into card reader (usb converter gadget)
3. inserted card reader into usb slot in laptop
4. clicked start, my computer,
5. right clicked the drive for the sd card and selected properties
6: selected tools from the tabs
7. then clicked "check now" in the error checking section
8. ejected the card from the laptop
9. inserted sd card back into phone.

done.

worked for me

Upvote 0
Hi,

without having the facility to put my 8GB SD card im stumped on what to do. A couple of days ago it came up with an error saying that it couldnt see the SD card, so I stuck it in my BB Torch and it said that it had permenant fatal errors, my 16GB SD from my torch works in my HTC but the 8GB is having none of it.

Only had the HTC as a work phone for a couple of weeks as an upgrade from the iphone.

Any help would be muchly appriciated.

Thanks

J
xx

Upvote 0
Hi all, i have been following this thread for 5 weeks. Here is my experience:

I had the HTC desire HD from vodafone and it came with an 8gb SD card made by Samsung. I had the phone a week and then over night the SD card stopped working - it now does not work in ANY other phone i have tried 5 phones and a PC card reader.. it just doesnt register, its like its jus ta lump of plastic.

I told vodafone in my local store and they gave me a new 8gb SD card and that they hadnt heard of the problem before.

This card worked fine for 4 weeks... and now the same has happened. Card wont work and ive lost all my photos + music.

I rang vodafone and they said they will replace the handset incase it is the problem. So i get my new handset in 2 days from now, I will keep you all updated as to what happens.

p.s. do you guys think it is the phone or the SD cards? and do we know anone who has had the HTC desire HD for 2months+ without ANY problem at all? I am wondering if we have a bad batch, or if it is common across All of this model.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem, not with my original card but with a sandisk 16Gb. None of the suggestions worked nor did a second card, so I sent it back and got the kingston one and that has been ok now for a few days which is much longer than it lasted with the sandisk. I don't know what the problem is but Amazon's returns policy meant I haven't wasted lots of money on useless cards.

Tom

Upvote 0
Well my card became corrput again lat night. Unmounting and mounting had no effect. This was a 16gb card which was formatted fat32. I had recently transferred some mp4 vids to it. Came to watch them later and boom, corrput. Lost everything.

Have put in the 4gb card that came with the phone to see what happens with this one.

Im new to your group here so im sorry if this topic has been covered already, Im also under the impression most people understand how flash media read right works for the cards life / write amounts. with that being said as its quite often with windows or other devices that mount and umount things while i will say android linux and unix have less of this problem. There are times when cards appear to be killed when unmounted. An easy test / fix (something i do for work all the time to extend the life of all flash cards is the following)

I run ubuntu on my media machines and im not 100% if new releases of Fedora Core linux continues to provide you with the error / pop up suggestion but try something along these lines.

You can boot a laptop or desktop up off a fedora live cd and then try to put your flash media into a micro SD card converter for something your pc is able to read.. usb .. card reader etc. Then try to "mount" the device under the computer manager window on fedora. If the card is good but got messed up in the mounting / unmounting process fedora gives you a suggested pop up msg with a force to mount command. I have found that after a force mount.. make a empty txt file in some random location then properly unmount the card bam.. seems to work or fix the card with no problems.

I currently have about 10 16GB usb cards and 20 32gb micro SD cards from cameras and PC's in my office that many people said they broke and lost all there data and turned into me. The above fix has brought them back to life and they have all worked for well over a year so food for thought new media cards often dont just pop into death on a device that you might be mounting and unmounting them on often times its just corrupted and a forced mount and unmount can fix such things.

Upvote 0
Hi :)
i have had similar problems with my Desire.
When i install apps that i save on my memory card e.g. angry birds :p and then i turn off my phone, when i next turn it on and i go to open the app from an app shorcut on my home screen the app icon has changed to the green android and it says "App is no longer installed on this phone". When i go to check the app in the mange apps menu there still is a datafile which has all the levels on i have completed but i cant open the app.
Also i took some pics today and witihn three hours i was unable to view a few of them and then after my phone ran out of battery and i turned it back on again i was unable to view all of them. i checked the details/properties and the resolution had changed from 2250x1950 (or something like that) to -1x-1????????
my memory card is an unbranded 16gb microSD card

Upvote 0
I might have found something that worked. I have experienced a lot of the same issues as described in the thread.

I'm using the original SD-card which came with my HTC Desire. I often got a message that the SD-card wasn't prepared and therefore couldn't be read. I noticed it happent EVERY time I went into camera to take a picture.

What I did:
1. Connected the phone to my computer using the USB cabel.
2. Went to Start -> Computer
3. Right clicked on the SD-card drive and choose properties
4. Went to the tab "Features" and clicked on the button "Check now"
5. I now got a pop-up called "Disk control". I checked both available options and hit the button "run".
6. A few minutes later the control was done. I got a message that some problems where found, AND solved.
7. I safely removed my phone from the computer. I immediately went to camera on my phone to see if I where capable of taking pictures again; AND I WAS. AND STILL, SO FAR SO GOOD.

NOTE: In my description I used my own translations from Danish to English. Therefore, I'm not entirely sure if, for example, the described "Check now"-button is called "Check now" on an English running computer.
Furthermore, I did this on my HP computer using Windows 7.

I hope it helps!

Upvote 0
Peter I am going to try your solution in a few minutes, I'll post if it works.

I got my HTC Desire (brand new) a year ago (February 2011). It was perfectly fine until 25 April 2011 (I remember exactly 'cause it was on my birthday it suddenly forgot all pictures of the previous days). Since it has been a hot mess. My life has been chaotic and I looked up solutions but never got to trying them out, so I never went back to the store with it as I figured if I put some effort in I'd be able to fix it. People online also gave me the impression it was a matter of formatting or buying a new card, and then everything would be fine.

Now a year later life has calmed down and I have tried everything and nothing works. I am really angry. I paid good money for this phone, it was excellent quality for about a month and a half, and then bam. At the time it seemed like there were fixes - look, I don't need a perfect phone, as long as it'll do what it says, even if I have to do a bit extra effort for it.

My camera does not work. I have lost seriously precious pictures that I have not been able to recover - I went on a family weekend the days before my birthday and took all my pictures with the (until then flawless) Desire only to find them all disappeared a few days later. I can hardly save anything (apps) on my phone and most apps won't work because they claim I don't have an SD card. I can't use the camera. I can't use ringtones or put music on the phone.

If I wanted a phone just to call people I would've bought a cheaper one, thanks. Sorry I'm just annoyed... I have had some crappy electronics but not once have I not been able to make anything of it with a bit of online guidance. HTC Desire however will not meet me halfway.

Upvote 0
The answer is quite easy.

Cut your losses but be sure to have learnt your lesson. Throw away the junk that is the HTC Desire and try a Samsung phone. Sorry HTC, but you only get one chance in the mobile game and you have failed miserably.

My wife and I both brought HTC phones almost 2 years ago, hers was the original Wildfire and mine a Desire. Suffice to say her Wildfire is in a thousand pieces having met the pavement at pitching velocity. What a piece of crap. I'm still slaving away with the Desire, constantly restarting the phone, constantly having not enough memory, blah blah blah until I can renew my contract with a new (Samsung) phone. HTC are making nice new smartphones these days but for me its too late.

Upvote 0
Until now, Samsung phones have felt cheap and plasticy. I'm not sure your "Solution" is for everyone.

Your posts in this thread appear to be one of anger. This is a community of contributers. More than that. Here we are a community of Desire Lovers.

Where we understand your anger, I am not sure what your posts are designed to achieve. It appears you are trying to spark an argument. Why would you would you do that? Thank you for your input so far, we are now aware of your recommendation.

Thanks for your input, but perhaps we should leave it at that.

Upvote 0
Suffice to say her Wildfire is in a thousand pieces having met the pavement at pitching velocity.

Wow, throw a phone at the pavement and it suffers? What a surprise. Good job she didn't have an iP4 instead. Could I suggest rooting your Desire and installing a decent ROM which will fix the app space issues until your contract is due, and telling your wife to be less clumsy?

Upvote 0
I too have a HTC Desire mobile.

My phone is rooted and i run Gingerbred currently.
recently found link2ds app which has been a revelation for space saving.

I use a 16 GB samsung class 10 micro sd.

For me all of my sd card woes seem to be directly related to installing / upgrading to the new google play store that has replaced the market.

looks great and all but looks like there is some manner of issue with this to me.
I am going to remove it and ill update if this helps

Responding to raaaabert, i believe that the HTC desire has great potential as a phone.
however considering what they initially charged for it HTC is taking the mickey in terms of how underspecification the phone is with regards to internal storage space.

The HTC model and the model of current consumer electronics firms seems to be that they would like us to get a new phone with each android release.

If they are going to pay then i think that's all well and good, i think that the specification that mobile phone manufacturers give their phones should be looked into by an independent body.

To surmise HTC Desire, beautiful on the outside, weeping for more substance on the inside.

Upvote 0
Wow, throw a phone at the pavement and it suffers? What a surprise. Good job she didn't have an iP4 instead. Could I suggest rooting your Desire and installing a decent ROM which will fix the app space issues until your contract is due, and telling your wife to be less clumsy?

i just got this htc desire CDMA (BravoC) us cellular branded
i did the htcdev unlock "hboot-1.09.0000 and installed CWM 5.02 and SU 3.03 i think
i want to try a different rom but everytime i try and Transfer a new rom to my 16GB SD Card (PNY class 4 i think) the card disappears
this is crazy
i also have to power off phone and then start it back up to see the sd card again
i have tried formatting /sdcard in CWM and from /settings/sd card and its a simple QUICK format and that does not fix the problem
so right now i am hooked up to my pc through usb cord and phone is set to disk drive and i am having windows 7 x64 do the fat32 format
will let you know if that works in a bit
this sucks
how can i install a new rom if i cant get the rom to my sd card?
i dont have an sd card reader

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones